• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Gaming laptops

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
My daughter is looking to purchase a gaming laptop tonight. Just wondering, what is the one component to make games run faster, is it just the video card and available video memory? Or just a combination of other components, as this will affect the price of the laptop. Some gaming laptops only have 8gb of system ram, but still 4gb of video ram (a latest nvidia)
There is one Dell with i7 processor, 6gb of vram (latest nvidia card) 16gb system ram, 256ssd plus 1 tb hard drive. Although it appears to be a beast of a machine, just wondering if it’s overkill for gaming, and it comes at a price (and her money lol)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Most current games don't overload the CPU, but do tend to hit a GPU limit. Often there is little difference in framerate between an i5, an i7 or one of the new AMD options. In fact, you can save quite a bit by going for an AMD CPU and then spend the extra on a higher model GPU such as an NVidia RTX although currently not many brands have made gaming laptops with the Ryzen/Nvidia combo. I would also if it is mainly for gaming look for a 1080p screen with a high refresh rate over a 4k one with a low refresh rate. That also makes a big difference. Oh, and if it is going to be for high end gaming don't look at the thinner models as they all seem to struggle to not throttle when warm.

Last edited:

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Well it’s purchased (by my daughter) . Must admit the staff member who we asked at PC World didn’t seem to know a lot about them really. Went on the basis of online reviews that swayed us in the end - went for the Dell as in the first post (would make a nice editing laptop actually...... :) )PC world are making a recovery usb stick in the next day or two: although I could do it, if anything went wrong I would pick up the blame, so she was willing to pay for it to be done. She can pick the laptop up in a few days. The plus to all of this is that she can ‘game’ in her own room now - at present her Xbox and PS4 are in the front room, and online gaming can get very vocal :D

Meizuha

As far as I know, there are no gaming laptops. Even a laptop with good performance will work worse than a stationary computer with the same performance. But, if you tell me what games it plays, then you can help choose a good laptop.

Geeman

Here a lot
Yep, there are gaming laptops, I have an Asus G73 and its a great laptop, built for gaming [emoji106]