• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Garden blooms n stuff

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
Went back to try again during today's lunch to try #5 again as I felt I had over exposed it a bit, and its a nice place to eat a sandwich on the grass...

Like the other its a 5 stack but I much prefer the colours of this one.
CrocosmiaLucifer.jpg

kayak

Always on
I'm still toying with the macro lens idea. Might just push my boat out and get a Nikon lens. I keep changing my mind. Not sure how often I'd use it or carry it around with me. I usually only take two lenses with me at any one time now because the bag gets heavy. Maybe I'll buy a small donkey as well. ;)

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
I'm still toying with the macro lens idea. Might just push my boat out and get a Nikon lens. I keep changing my mind. Not sure how often I'd use it or carry it around with me. I usually only take two lenes with me at any one time now because the bag gets heavy. Maybe I'll buy a small donkey as well. ;)
Don't forget they make excellent double duty macro/ portrait lenses as well. Or you could change over to canon kit and if you get bored of the macro stuff just give me the lens... ;)

kayak

Always on
Don't forget they make excellent double duty macro/ portrait lenses as well. Or you could change over to canon kit and if you get bored of the macro stuff just give me the lens... ;)
You'll be first on my list if I give it away. Gave all my old cameras and lenses to the charity shop, filters and tripod as well.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
I'm still toying with the macro lens idea. Might just push my boat out and get a Nikon lens. I keep changing my mind. Not sure how often I'd use it or carry it around with me. I usually only take two lenses with me at any one time now because the bag gets heavy. Maybe I'll buy a small donkey as well. ;)
I can tell you why I started (besides the obvious)...summer time here is..can be a bit slow in what wildlife I prefer to shoot. I can't speak of shooting flowers...but..
Bugs are in the likes of migrating season birds. Plenty and a variety, in the thick of it, to speak of.
This keeps me busy and "sharp" until the time comes.

kayak

Always on
I can tell you why I started (besides the obvious)...summer time here is..can be a bit slow in what wildlife I prefer to shoot. I can't speak of shooting flowers...but..
Bugs are in the likes of migrating season birds. Plenty and a variety, in the thick of it, to speak of.
This keeps me busy and "sharp" until the time comes.
There are two Nikon Micro DX lenses that I'm looking at. The best of the two, and most expensive, is quite heavy. The smaller one is much lighter, but you have to get in close, which might be a problem with shadow.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
There are two Nikon Micro DX lenses that I'm looking at. The best of the two, and most expensive, is quite heavy. The smaller one is much lighter, but you have to get in close, which might be a problem with shadow.
Which lenses are you looking at?

kayak

Always on
Which lenses are you looking at?
Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens-Black.
Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Lens.

I don't expect either of these lenses will get me in close enough for spider eyes and the like, but I could probably add a Raynox clip-on, either 150 or 250 to give it a boost, when needed.

Last edited:

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
I don't expect either of these lenses will get me in close enough for spider eyes and the like, but I could probably add a Raynox clip-on, either 150 or 250 to give it a boost, when needed.
Both those lenses go down to 1:1 magnification so they are proper macro lenses capable of a spiders eye should you wish. I imagine the 85mm would give a similar fov to my 70mm sigma using a crop sensor. Also worth looking at the sigma 105mm 2.8 or the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lenses if you haven't already. Or even the Sigma 70mm, if you can find one it would be a nice middle ground between the 2 you are already considering and it can be found fairly cheap used on occasion. Think I paid £150 for mine about 5 years ago and it had barely been used at all.

kayak

Always on
Both those lenses go down to 1:1 magnification so they are proper macro lenses capable of a spiders eye should you wish. I imagine the 85mm would give a similar fov to my 70mm sigma using a crop sensor. Also worth looking at the sigma 105mm 2.8 or the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lenses if you haven't already. Or even the Sigma 70mm, if you can find one it would be a nice middle ground between the 2 you are already considering and it can be found fairly cheap used on occasion. Think I paid £150 for mine about 5 years ago and it had barely been used at all.
I might go for the DX Nikon 85mm. The 40mm lens means I have to get in really close, so will most likely have my shadow blocking the light sometimes. I also have my eye on one of those LED lens lights that clip on.
So, my order might be:- 85mm Nikon micro lens, LED battery lens light, Raynox 150 or 250 clip on. I'll not be able to clip both light and Raynox to the lens at the same time though. I'll have to work around that.
Or. Wait for it, because I do change my mind quite often, lol. I might not order the Raynox until after I've tried the lens.
Thanks for you help, Ryan. Sorry to be such a pain in the orifice. :grin:

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
I might go for the DX Nikon 85mm. The 40mm lens means I have to get in really close, so will most likely have my shadow blocking the light sometimes. I also have my eye on one of those LED lens lights that clip on.
So, my order might be:- 85mm Nikon micro lens, LED battery lens light, Raynox 150 or 250 clip on. I'll not be able to clip both light and Raynox to the lens at the same time though. I'll have to work around that.
Or. Wait for it, because I do change my mind quite often, lol. I might not order the Raynox until after I've tried the lens.
Thanks for you help, Ryan. Sorry to be such a pain in the orifice. :grin:
Not a pain at all, I do enjoy talking kit. One thing to keep in mind is the 85mm only goes to f3.5 wide open which may not be a deal breaker in macro terms but could be if using it for portraits and whatnot. Even so it looks to be a real nice piece of glass so I doubt you would be disappointed. If it were me I would also hold off on the raynox till having a play about with just the lens as shooting @1:1 can be challenging. The lights on the other hand would be very handy as shooting at high apertures needs good lighting for decent results.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
It's the f3.5 that's holding me back from putting the order in.
Look at the tamron then, very similar and by all accounts (although I don't have one), excellent image quality. newer models have vc as well.

kayak

Always on
Look at the tamron then, very similar and by all accounts (although I don't have one), excellent image quality. newer models have vc as well.
I've looked at so many macro lenses now. The reason I looked at the Nikon DX lenses is because they're compatible with my camera and its workings. The 40mm DX lens keeps tempting me, it's small and has F2.8. I'm going round in circles.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
I've looked at so many macro lenses now. The reason I looked at the Nikon DX lenses is because they're compatible with my camera and its workings. The 40mm DX lens keeps tempting me, it's small and has F2.8. I'm going round in circles.
What body do you have? As far as I know all three of the lenses I mentioned are compatible with Nikon dslrs providing you get the Nikon versions of them.
Here is a couple links to said lenses(used) which should be compatible. Neither have vr/ vc but its debatable as to how much help that provides in real world macro use.
The 70mm is designed specifically for a crop sensor body.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-70mm-f-2-8-EX-DG-Macro-Lens-for-Nikon-in-Excellent-Condition/173934085353?epid=100056267&hash=item287f4784e9:g:vUEAAOSwJmtdBLq9
The 105mm is designed for a full frame camera but works fine with a crop sensor body it just give more working distance and a tighter framing than the lens would on a ff body.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-EX-105mm-DG-macro-f2-8-Nikon-lens/254222763872?hash=item3b30db8760:g:FpIAAOSwxYZc0Ljo

Last edited: