1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Gargoyles galore

Discussion in 'City/Street/Architecture' started by RyanB, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RyanB

RyanB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I only noticed these guys this afternoon as they were quite high up on the building. Some seem a bit odd on a building from the 11th century but definitely speak to a sense of humor on the stone mason's part.

IMG_4125_1024.jpg

IMG_4137_1024.jpg

3. Mining for gold here.
    IMG_4129_1024.jpg

4. I love this little guy although it almost seems like a modern caricature. Made me wonder if he was involved in the building or design and immortalised in this form for a bit of a laugh.
    IMG_4131_1024.jpg

IMG_4119_1024.jpg

IMG_4126_1024.jpg

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great shots of them, Ryan.

RyanB likes this.
  3. RyanB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers Roger, nothing extra special about the shots but as they were of something many would never notice unless wandering around with a zoom lens, I thought they were worth a share.:)

Roger S likes this.
  4. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well captured, some look like new copies, certainly sandstone/freestone will weather, they're very well sculpted. I have eight on my house, they're dripstones as opposed to gargoyles, they were crafted about 170 years ago, some have great detail, others are weather-worn. The near one in number 5 looks original though. A stone mason told me they come in at one hell of a price to sculpt, let alone fit.

A really interesting post Ryan.

RyanB likes this.
  5. RyanB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Steve, It would make sense that these are not the originals, The entire building has been in various stages of refurb since we moved here. At one point I spoke to one of the stone masons who said just this cathedral had enough work that needed doing that it could keep him and his 3 man crew in work for the rest of their natural lives and were currently operating on an 8 year waiting list for planned work around the country.

Just saw your gargoyles in the similar threads section below, very cool, I'm a bit jealous.:D

steve b likes this.
  6. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice shots. They really are funny!

RyanB likes this.
  7. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Amusing shots aren,t they. I find gargoyles fascinating.

RyanB likes this.
  8. David Payne

David Payne Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Second all above. Cool shots.

RyanB likes this.
  9. RyanB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers guys, most appreciated!:)