• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Gavarnie Sunset

SFTphotography

Old Hand
Happy New Year everyone. Here are two pictures from what is probably the best sunset I've ever witnessed in what I would describe as the most remarkable place I have ever been. This was taken in Gavarnie on my 2018 trip to the Pyrenees

_DSC3445 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The Portrait shot features more of the Cascade de Gavarnie, which was pretty dry on account of the amazing summer of last year. Initially I felt the portrait (3x4) was the best, but now I warm more to the (7x5) landscape as it shows more of the remarkable rock formations that make up the Cirque de Gavarnie.

_DSC3446 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

10 more months to go until I am back for the Autumn!!!!

David_MC

Always on
That light is spectacular. I can’t really pick a preferred crop as I light each one for different reasons.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
yep like pete, I prefer the portrait version. lovely chunk of rock though, very nice light. love it when its like that

SFTphotography

Old Hand
yep like pete, I prefer the portrait version. lovely chunk of rock though, very nice light. love it when its like that
It's a great place and a geological marvel (most of the Pyrenees are). You cannot help but see the rock formations and think "how"?

I am like no-one - I like the wider landscape but glad I have both versions. I will be back but doubt the light will ever be this good again but once you get the Pyrenees bug you just cannot help but fantasise about being anywhere else other than there.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
It's a great place and a geological marvel (most of the Pyrenees are). You cannot help but see the rock formations and think "how"?

I am like no-one - I like the wider landscape but glad I have both versions. I will be back but doubt the light will ever be this good again but once you get the Pyrenees bug you just cannot help but fantasise about being anywhere else other than there.

for me its the lines in the portrait that I like. the my eyes follow the river in then are lead around following the lower ridge to the left then the top one to the right. the lines are not as defined in the wider view. but yeah I just like the easy to read ones really, personally preference and all that.....

SFTphotography

Old Hand
for me its the lines in the portrait that I like. the my eyes follow the river in then are lead around following the lower ridge to the left then the top one to the right. the lines are not as defined in the wider view. but yeah I just like the easy to read ones really, personally preference and all that.....
I can see that but I can follow the flow down from the left in the landscape version. The place is a total feast for the eyes. I really think you should go - you're a good photographer and the place would really give you a different thing to work on rather than Scotland. Huge variety of walking to do to. This wasn't too far from the car but there's some sweaty betty ones on the Spanish side in the Ordesa Valley where you see a completely different geological make up. I'll post these quite soon but I've reprocessed them again since doing them - the originals had too much contrast for my eye so I've toned them down a bit last night but want to sleep on it a few days before posting.

Sadly what both these pictures fail to do is capture the altitude I was at, or the feeling of being high. These are 3000m plus high peaks, not than you can really tell from these by the framing.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
I can see that but I can follow the flow down from the left in the landscape version. The place is a total feast for the eyes. I really think you should go - you're a good photographer and the place would really give you a different thing to work on rather than Scotland. Huge variety of walking to do to. This wasn't too far from the car but there's some sweaty betty ones on the Spanish side in the Ordesa Valley where you see a completely different geological make up. I'll post these quite soon but I've reprocessed them again since doing them - the originals had too much contrast for my eye so I've toned them down a bit last night but want to sleep on it a few days before posting.

Sadly what both these pictures fail to do is capture the altitude I was at, or the feeling of being high. These are 3000m plus high peaks, not than you can really tell from these by the framing.
yes i would definitely like to check them out one day, they look like they might be a challenge to get my eye in, but worth the effort. . will add them to the list for sure. .....