• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Glossy Ibis with a snack

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
He really is showing well. Lovely shot

Georgie Boy

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There seems to be something wrong with the grass running through the bird a sort of ghosting - its laying down unlike that in the foreground and behind the bird. Very much like the bird has been lifted from another shot. Plus the item of prey in its bill looks odd, its not being grabbed - a Photshop/Lightroom fix perhaps.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There seems to be something wrong with the grass running through the bird a sort of ghosting - its laying down unlike that in the foreground and behind the bird. Very much like the bird has been lifted from another shot. Plus the item of prey in its bill looks odd, its not being grabbed - a Photshop/Lightroom fix perhaps.
Nothing odd at all. First the grass, that is a combination of DOF and the fact it is a soggy area where the bird is feeding. It often looks like that when I take a shot at similar sites. Next is the prey. The ibis has no way of feeding the prey from the tip of the bill to his throat. So like many birds, especially long billed ones, they catch with the tips then play a game of toss and grab to get the prey to where they can swallow it. You can see just this even with short billed birds.

Piquet

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Really good shot

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cracking Capture. we had an American white Ibis quite a bit off course at a reserve in Kent near me for weeks never got any close shots but a few at distance, cracking Birds ..

stanm

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
thanks for looking guys

the post is just as shot and Phils explanation is spot on and of course it was shot from eye level which will further explain, including the very oof grass at the front

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have had many a similar shot, its just the focus plane which runs through the middle leaving subject sharp and grass above and below a bit oof and sometimes more pronounced depending on Aperture used, I have had Hares in field laying out on my front and got same effect its how cameras focus plane works...
Really a great shot, love it..and slightly jealous

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent shot Stan.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I know what georgie boy is talking about- and in my own shots, i have found it distracting. Being my own critique. NOT making a critique on this take, as it is fine.
Dark bird, lighter bg- it will and can happen.
Only way to avoid it in my belief is getting bg closer to the subject in color, as in the darkness.
Nice take Stan.

stanm

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you for your further comments guys

Cracking Capture. we had an American white Ibis quite a bit off course at a reserve in Kent near me for weeks never got any close shots but a few at distance, cracking Birds ..
Not seen a white ibis over here but seen and photographed them in Florida where they seem to be quite common. The glossy ibis is the first time of visiting this local reserve since 2011 is one of over 700 close shots when he fed out in the open for nearly two hours, very lucky and much better shots than any I got 10 years ago