• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Gorgeous girl in the street

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
While working on my "Covid Safe" project I met this lovely girl, she agreed to pose for me and these are some of the pics. I have never been that great at portrait work but I liked the way these came out. Any critique or advice would be welcome.phu15.JPGphu16.JPGphu17.JPG

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am only mobile at present but the first thing that strikes me is taking it against the shop door the verticals and horizontals are all leaning. You could correct this in PP but then the girl may lean to one side, and you may lose the feet. Although it’s easy to say now, and you might not have had much time, stepping to the right a step might have made the verticals more upright. Also the coffee cup and gloves draw the eye, you can remove them in PP, but better still don’t have them in the shot to start with. Second shot is best here IMO as there is eye contact and a hint of a smile. The shots could look good in mono too

Last edited:

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You have your settings set to YES for 'edit my images', so had a little play. I only have the original 120kb file to play with, but could do better on the larger (raw) file. Removal of the gloves/coffee isn't perfect, but as said may be easier with the raw file. I auto aligned the image , and boosted the levels, shadows and contrast. I then converted it to mono in Topaz black and white effects to try to make it a bit more punchier. I think in your original file, now I am back on PC, you have missed the focus on her face in this image, as it's a little soft

untitled.jpg

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh Wow! Okay, thanks for your advice in the first post, realy realy helpfull.:)

And the edited picture? Holy Cow! Nice job on the edit, looks much better.

Dotty.c

Founding Member
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
with portraits your main point of focus really needs to be the eye's, try to capture some light in them as well it will bring the face to life.

liking the B&W edit, works well

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
with portraits your main point of focus really needs to be the eye's, try to capture some light in them as well it will bring the face to life.

liking the B&W edit, works well
To add light i was thinking of an off-camera flash or a reflector. Which would you suggest or should i just try them both?

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Either would work. Flash can take a bit of practice to get right and obviously is a cost factor - buying Godox or yongnuo rather than own brands ie canon/Nikon etc will be cheaper and just as good. You will need a transmitter to fire the flash too. A reflector is obviously cheaper, but you are limited by the available light.

Last edited:

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I already decided on a Godox TT685C flash and an X2 trigger, a friend of mine uses one on his Nikon and loves it. My reflector isn't very portable and I have been thinking of getting a smaller portable one, luckily I have a very patient and supportive wife, lol.
I agree that getting more light in the region of the eyes is a good thing so I will try all options and see.
I have to thank all of you for your help and support, this forum is an amazing resource.

Dotty.c

Founding Member
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
To add light i was thinking of an off-camera flash or a reflector. Which would you suggest or should i just try them both?
I prefer a reflector, I use a collapsible silver/gold so I gave the choice of colour temperature

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One thing I will add is you have a very good tool in your photographic arsenal that many of us don't. The balls to go up and ask strangers to pose for you. That's an invaluable one to have!

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One thing I will add is you have a very good tool in your photographic arsenal that many of us don't. The balls to go up and ask strangers to pose for you. That's an invaluable one to have!
I have to admit that I enjoy that part of it. You know NOTHING about the person before you talk to them, where they are from, if they even speak English, but I engage with them for a few minutes and it seems to work out okay. I am averaging about 70% "yes" when I ask permission and I feel thats pretty good. But yes, it does take balls, lol.:grin: