1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Graveyard help please.

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Barry., Oct 23, 2016.

1. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Took this picture yesterday of a graveyard near where i live, i was wondering how i might improve it in PSCC. Being a total novice go easy on instructions please lol.

DSC_0023.jpg

2. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your image here is quite under exposed in the foreground, but also over exposed in the sky causing burnt out areas. so using layers I have brigtned up the foreground using the 'Brightness/Contrast' tool. Then cloned some of the interesting sky over the top of any burnt out areas. Then did a crop to improve composition.

Untitled-1.jpg

photodiva and Barry. like this.
  3. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to vastly improve my picture. Is there a step by step guide as to how you did it?

Many thanks
    Barry.

4. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do not have PSCC, so not sure what controls you have, but I presume it has layers, so open a new layer above your base image, then find the Brightness control and increase it enough to bring the foreground to your liking, then open a mask on this layer and brush over the sky which is now almost burnt out. You can now flatten the image and make another new copy of the base image, on this new layer use the clone tool at about 50% opacity to clone over the burnt out areas in sky. Finally crop the image to suit your taste.

5. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I can only apologise at this point as i have no idea where these tools are or how to use them in PS. But i appreciate your time and will try to find out.

6. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The way I got going was to clear the decks and reserve four hours for learning photoshop.

Try out YouTube and find a photoshop basics for beginners or something and make sure the video is at least half an hour long as the longer videos really get stuck into the subject. Watch it all the way through then find a photograph of yours and go to the relevant part in the video and apply what you learned to your own image.

One thing that's important to learn early on is layers and masks.

Also a book from your library is free and might be easier for you to learn that way.

Barry. likes this.
  7. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many thanks Snips.:)

Snips likes this.
  8. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I assume you start your Pp in camera raw Barry in the darker area's right and left use the shadows slider to lighten them, as Snips says plenty of tutorials on You tube and dont be afraid to ask any questions on here. Except for money of course. LOL.

Barry. likes this.
  9. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes always Raw mate.

Ah money was my next question lol.;)

10. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Grave yard are a great place to photograph. A little on the creepy side. In this shot, I'd probably avoid most the sky and the path on the right. It takes you out of the scene. I would focus more on the headstones. Move in closer. Take the two headstones right in the front and compose a shot there. Often a graveyard will look better in black and white.

Barry. likes this.
  11. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sky is a bit blown out. Try Nik Software, a free add-on to Photoshop, perhaps?

12. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The photo was shot using an exposure setting of Evaluative or Matrix Metering which averaged all of the light in the scene. The foreground is dark because the sky was so bright. The dynamic range from shadows to highlights was beyond the camera's capability to capture. There are areas where the some highlights are blown and some shadows are clipped. Bracketing would be useful here.

The following edits were made to the JPEG, you will be editing from the original raw file. I brought the original JPEG into Adobe Camera Raw twice. Once to produce a "Dark" version and once to produce a Light version. Here are the ACR settings.

ACR_Settings.jpg

The two images where then layered in PSD with additional Curves and Contrast added. Here's the result and how it was processed. It looks over-sharpened to me but the lighting was improved.

DSC_0023-(mbedit-2).jpg

PSD 1.JPG

Barry. likes this.
  13. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mike thank you for taking the time to help mate.

14. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    some good tips and advice. there are several ways to skin the same cat in LR/PS.
    Check out the editing link in my signature. there are several basics tutorials that may well help, including one on masks mentioned above.

15. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think also a little touch of selective Dodge/Burn/Saturation will give it a little more depth enabling you too look into the image, it's all very subtle
    Untitled-2.jpg

Paul

Barry. likes this.
  16. Barry.

Barry. Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you all so much, just had a little play around also, but i am going to have a go at everyones advice:

[​IMG]

17. c-reg1

c-reg1 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very nicely worked and a great photo