1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Green Screen Software

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by ELGEO, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello! I'm new to the group and I joined because I need some advice on what software and lighting equipment I will need to do green screen photograpy. I'm not a professional but I am the photographer for our Harley Owners Group chapter in Oconomowoc Wisconsin. Next month we have our annual "Ridin' To A Cure" fund raising event to benefit Breast Cancer research. I want to set up a "Green Screen" booth and shoot portraits of Singles, Couples, Groups and people sitting on a motorcycle in exchange for donations to our cause. I do have Photo Shop, that my wife bought me for my birthday, but I've hardly used it as I find it very difficult to use. I need something simple and fast, yet professional looking, as I plan on printing these portraits on location.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    FXHome PhotoKey Lite isn't too bad, but compared to a good workflow in something like Photoshop it's not as good a job.

3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Why green screen ? Are you planning to cut them out ?

If that is the case then white would be a better option. With video it is simple as the software is easy to use but stills are high resolution and more care has to be taken to look convincing.

OnOne software is great and quick for this. Not cheap but much less than Photoshop and easier to use if you have little time to learn it.

4. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

Thanks Pete. Yes, I plan on cutting out the portraits and super imposing them on a different background. I've seen several software packages that do this in conjuction with a green muslim backdrop, like PhotoKey 6 Pro or Green Screen PhotoWorks. Just not sure which way to go here.

Thanks Sean, not sure what you mean by "a good workflow"? Would that be an add on to photoshop or do you just mean knowing how to use Photoshop, which is not my strongpoint yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  5. GarryN

GarryN Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Photoshop would be a right faff if you were processing and printing on site.

Photokey 6 Pro will take your shot, automatically cut out the subject and stick a background in all on the fly and you just press the print button after taking the photo and sending it to the printer. Saw a very impressive demo of it in action by the chap who demo'd my dye sub printer to me when I bought it in March. I was quite impressed by it, though I have yet to get a green screen.

6. Minor Problem

IOTM

Minor Problem Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'd use a muslin background instead. It saves having to paint people. :roll:

7. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just to chuck a problem in the mix here. There is always a problems with green bleed with blondes so you will prob lose some hair unless using some complex lighting setup. Next will be the green reflections in the bikes that is a sure problem u will encounter. Green screen is ok but not magic don't expect it to just work you will need a good lighting setup to aviod bleed

8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Personally, I would find a naturaly lit background near by ant not attempt cutting them out.

As pointed out above, it will be a nightmare to someone who does it all the time but to have to print as well !!!!

It is not for personal gain and they will still love their portraits knowing it is for a good cause. Don't tie yourself in knots over this, it's a

nice idea but a very difficult under the circumstances.

9. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Garry!

10. darkhorse

IOTM

darkhorse Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As you've already got photoshop, if you use the select colour range, then select the green, you could the delete it then move the image over. The green fringe could also be felt with easily. This YouTube tutorial may be of some help :)
    http://youtu.be/zswLPJRhFSg

11. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Garry,
    Sounds like that will work. I'll see if I can download a trial version and test it out.

This is great! Thanks Darkhorse!
    I want to check out the background video as well.

darkhorse likes this.
  12. darkhorse

IOTM

darkhorse Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  13. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Pete, I'm starting to get swayed back to that which was my original idea anyway. I'd still like to experiment with the green screen stuff, but with it being so late in the game with only 3 weeks to go, maybe I'll save it for next years fundraiser.

14. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is also something in Photoshop called "Blend If" in the Blending Options of the Layer Styles, this can overlay by single channel (R, G, or B) or it can overlay by multiple.

It's quite hidden, but it's quite worth looking in to. This is what one of the Photoshop staff has to say on it, but there's plenty out there on Google/Youtube http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/02/blend-if-sliders-in-photoshop.html

15. ELGEO

ELGEO Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great stuff there in both videos and the behind the scenes one. That will be fun to play around with. Probably not something I'll be able to do on the fly though, unless I have all the background stuff done and just do a simple overlay. That guy makes it all look so easy, but there's a lot going on that takes months of practice. I'm gonna see if there are any videos like that for PhotoKey 6 PRO. Thanks again.

Thanks for the post Sean!

Well I went ahead and bought a 10' x 12' green screen and stand and I've been diving deeper into PhotoShop and the PhotoKey FX software. I might take a few green screen shots at the event, but for the most part, I think I'm just gonna stick with plain background shots for the portraits. Maybe next year I'll plan on doing something a little more sofisticated once I get my head around one of these techniques.
    Thanks everyone for helping me out with this one.

darkhorse likes this.
  16. andy_bul

andy_bul Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, for my green screen photos, I am using Darkroom 9.2 and Photokey 7pro. Both Softwares are excellent depending on your workflow needs.

Best,
    Andon

17. jamos71

jamos71 Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    After effects for green and blue screen here. Works perfectly and also more importantly very easy to use with both moving and still media