1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Greeting Cards - Printing

Discussion in 'Forum Printing Service & Questions Forum' started by Snips, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Help please! :)

I want to look into printing my own greeting cards but don't know what sort of printer I need nor what sort of stock cards, or sizes.

There must be suppliers out there but I'm blown if I can find any. Have you any ideas?

Companies that print greeting cards want (not surprisingly) to charge about £2.99 per card, hence why I want to look at printers so I can print at home.

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When you say your own greeting cards do you mean for your own use ... or do you mean you will be selling the cards ??

3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Surprisingly, I can get postcards from Vistaprint for a mere 15 cents each in Canadian money. I have no idea why they would be more over there.

4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's primarily for selling the cards, Paul.

I've looked before Roger (and just had a quick peek again) but I can't find classic birthday cards (photo on the front) with a message inside or blank. Also, profit is going to Vistaprint and the post office rather than my pocket. :)

5. Tracie B.

Tracie B. Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have no idea where you are looking but a quick search and vista works out to roughly 74p per card. Think it's 10 cards for £7.50 or there abouts.
    Hello cards is 100 cards for just under £20. :)

Snips likes this.
  6. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    80# glossy card stock runs around 30 pence per piece to buy and then you need a printer which will print on glossy as well as card stock. The last one of those I had would print approximately 150 sheets at full res on a set of cartridges. I gave up and started going to Vistaprint for mine.

7. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you - I'll give Vista another look but still wouldn't mind looking into printing my own if anyone else has any ideas.

8. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't want to put a dampner on you Edward ... but when I go to craft fairs the card seller never appears to be selling many ... never many people round their stall ... now with the cost of buying the printer and stock it's going to be difficult to make much profit ..... all this in my opinion of course .... I have a friend who does hand drawn/painted cards and they don't do very well at it ... all this may be down to poor selling and promotion aspects though.

Paul

9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm just hoping to see some options or what others do.

I'm not going to be a millionaire but in less than six months I've already paid for my printer and am making good headway into the media packs and other stuff that came with it. This has surprised me as I thought it would take over a year to make a profit with it, and hence the reason for looking into greetings card printing and doing the printing myself.

10. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If it adds another string to your bow (your retail bow) and you offer it as an extension to your services then i think that may work for you.....

Paul

Snips likes this.
  11. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I reckon there's better money in plumbing Ed!

Snips likes this.
  12. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Probably Barry and most likely!

I know what you're all saying but the reason I'm asking is when I do my little exhibition in September I want to have something to sell apart from the images themselves and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's more money in providing prints, mugs, keyrings, what have you, if you print them yourself. To date I've spent many, many hundreds in paying printers to print 6x4's, 7x5's and 10x8's and the rest but if I'd bought a printer from the start, I'd be well into profit by now.

I'm not necessarily going to buy a printer to print these cards as much would depend on quantity of sales, etc - I just wanted to know what sort of printer is required, prices of them, card and so on.

I've now had a look at Vistaprint and 350gsm cards are going to cost £2 each - i.e. the same price as in the shops and I've got to pay postage on top.