• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Had two flat tires by lunch yesterday

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Both tires on the passenger side were flat by lunch time yesterday. One of my coworkers had a compressor in his car so we went out, in about -18C, to see what we could do. I could blow the rear one up and it was slow enough that I could drive on it a short distance.

In the meantime, while the pump was working, I check on my roadside assistance. We were under a family plan that my father in law managed. He cancelled it a year ago and did not tell us.

The front was a different story. I could hear air coming out of it. So, out comes the spare. On a Toyota Highlander, that is stored under the rear of the truck, there is a crank inside to lower it. Just getting it was fun.

I go to Canadian Tire, a Canadian institution, for repair. It is only 5 minutes from work. They cannot repair either tire. They said I ran over something very large and the holes are too big.

$544 later I have two new Michelin X-Ice winter tires to match my older pair.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
I haven't priced out the X-Ice for a while (more than a few years), but I thought they would have been costlier. If that price is tax in, it's not that bad.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I haven't priced out the X-Ice for a while (more than a few years), but I thought they would have been costlier. If that price is tax in, it's not that bad.
That was balanced mounted, 17 inch, etc, all in.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Sounds a lot to me, but in Canuck groats that probably isn’t too bad. So glad I have a company car when I see such bills. Only problem is, the company we use ATS, never has the tyres in stock or enough staff to fit them. I have had to drive around on a space saver for 5 days waiting for ATS to get their act together.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
I paid £8 each corner to have 4 x17 inch tyres fitted a while back. It included balancing valve "etc" I thought I did very well.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Don

Wottabugga mate - 2- flats together, most unusual .... sure it wasn't local kids getting the date wrong with April 1st??

Here in Oz we are experiencing our first vehicle arrivals with NO spare tyre at all ... a quite stupid arrangement in my eyes, The vehicle comes with an aerosol can to reinflate & fill the tyre with gunk so that you can drive to the next tyre shop, whereupon you buy a replacement tyre. The manufacturer's thinking in that every user is in the city (ha ha) - in Oz that simply does not work

Phil

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
It doesn’t work here in the UK either. Why? Cos whenever you have a tyre problem is because there is a huge hole in it. Sometimes this one s from hitting a kerb but more common, in my area at least, a blooming great pothole. No can of gunk can seal a 5cm hole.

For the manufacturers it is all about weight saving, so they can get the co2 rating down and mpg up a tiny bit. Comes at our expense. At least the brand I currently use provide a spare. I would not get a car if it didn’t have one.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Those tyres don't look that aggressively treaded?
Don lives in Toronto where large amounts of snow are rare. Ice-X tires are the absolute best on ice and light snow, but I wouldn't trust them in places where I drive. :D

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Don lives in Toronto where large amounts of snow are rare. Ice-X tires are the absolute best on ice and light snow, but I wouldn't trust them in places where I drive. :D
They are actually pretty good in deep snow. But...I have another story.

Andy 0

Always on
Weirdly last week I magaed to end up with.a scaffold fitting embedded in a tyre rendering it irreparable.

I did that driving home from the local ATS having had four brand new Avon ZV7s fitted....

Less than five miles on the damn thing..

In Canadian Paesos it doesn't sound that terrible, I pay about £100 ($170 Canuckistan Kopeks) for a mid-range summer tyre for my 18 year old Saab with 16" wheels.

Oddly in the UK 'winter tyres' aren't really 'a thing', continental Europe in countries with a similar climate to ours they're mandated in law. In the UK the vast majority of people run summer tyres all year round.

Probably why the UK grounds to a hault when the temperature drops.

G'day Don

Wottabugga mate - 2- flats together, most unusual .... sure it wasn't local kids getting the date wrong with April 1st??

Here in Oz we are experiencing our first vehicle arrivals with NO spare tyre at all ... a quite stupid arrangement in my eyes, The vehicle comes with an aerosol can to reinflate & fill the tyre with gunk so that you can drive to the next tyre shop, whereupon you buy a replacement tyre. The manufacturer's thinking in that every user is in the city (ha ha) - in Oz that simply does not work

Phil
I follow the hilarious John Cadogen on YouTube who's an Aussie automotive commentator and engineer - he often highlights Straya' as a special case where drivers do need a spare as its not impossible to be hundreds of miles from civilisation.

The can of gunk is useless, doubly so when I had it supplied with new VW Transporters, commercial tyres tend to fail catostrophically and they often just 'shred' if they fail rendering the can of gunk utterly useless.

Last edited by a moderator: