1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Hello! Need Film Advice

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by jeffv145, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jeffv145

jeffv145 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hello, my name is Jeff and I'm from Minnesota. I like analog tech (music mostly) but would like to get back into shooting film. I haven't used a film camera since the early 2000s, and would like to get back into it. I used to use a nice (older) Cannon which my dad used in college while studying photojournalism. I would love to get an old Pentax or Cannon, but I have a lot to learn. I am fine with buying used, but I need to make sure that I can still get film. I have three primary questions:

1. What are some good options for quality modern/new old stock cameras/film?
    2. What is the most affordable way (besides disposable) to start shooting film?
    3. What is the best way to have film developed these days

2. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum Jeff.

3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hiya Jeff and welcome to the forum.

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I moved this to Film and Vintage since it was asking about film and the right people are more like to see it.

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    35mm and 120 film are the easiest to find and there are a lot of used cameras to be found in both categories. The least expensive approach is to get a used 35mm camera for which lenses are still available - Canon EOS and Nikon top my list, others are available. In choosing a camera, consider getting the more recent models available. You don't need a lot of dodads, menus, or buttons, just basic exposure control. Older cameras can be great fun but issues with mechanics, shutter material, light seals, battery type, repair, etc. are more prevalent as the camera gets older. If you are happy shooting black and white, the best way to have film developed is to do it yourself - it's faster, cheaper, and you will learn more about taking photos as well as processing them. There are plenty of companies that process B&W, fewer that can process color.

6. jeffv145

jeffv145 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks for the info. I spent an hour or so learning about Holga cameras, which have me interested. They seem care free and beginner friendly. What do I need to develop B/W film at my home? Is there anywhere online to buy film or have it developed? Thanks a ton.

7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lots of stuff on the web. Full explanations for developing b&w film at home.

8. GarryN

GarryN Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I still use film. There are plenty of places which will develop colour and black and white online. I pay £2.99 or 3.99 for a film to be developed, then scan it myself. I suspect it will look be similarly easy in USA.