• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help and advice.

Chip

Hi all.
New to the forum here.

I'm an absolute novice (well I think I am), a year or so ago I bought a second hand lumix gf5 in excellent condition. I've been looking at lots and lots of videos & tutorials about lighting, iso, f settings etc. I've taken some half decent pictures and managed to edit them myself.
The problem I have is taking pictures indoor.... The camera only has a pop up flash and no hot shoe. It has limited options on the flash. No way of triggering an off camera flash.... I'm planning on getting some on-camera led lights.... (good or bad idea I'm not sue) if I go above 1600iso I get noise.
So can anyone give me any tips or tricks.
Is there a way of using a slave flash with my camera.
Any advice welcome...
(apart from "buy a better camera")
Thanks.

-Oy-

Buy a better.... Ahem...

Can you adust the output of the built in flash? If so maybe dail it right down and use a optical trigger to control an off-camera flash?

Chip

Buy a better.... Ahem...

Can you adust the output of the built in flash? If so maybe dail it right down and use a optical trigger to control an off-camera flash?
Unfortunately I don't belive my camera has that option.
To be honest, I'm a little confused as to why camera companies install pop up flashes when the concensus is that they are unfit for use. Why not just fit a hot shoe and give the user the option.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Hi
Most ofcamera flashes have a slave mode which will be triggered by the light from your pop up flash. Have a look at Youngnuo flashes.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
This one has good reviews and works as an optical slave mode.
''S1 mode offers an off-camera option, which allows for a variety of lighting effects and works in a manual-flash environment. An S1 flash fires at the same time as the master flash—similar to results when using a radio trigger. ''

-Oy-

One concern with using an auto exposure on-camera flash to optically trigger an off-camera flash is the flash timing. It’s probably the case that the auto exposure flash will send out a pre-flash to meter it’s main flash output. I’ve had it happen where this pre-flash triggers the external flash early - before the shutter fires. The usual answer or to fire the on-camera flash in manual mode so there’s no pre-flash, but with this camera that seems unavailable.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
The Yongnuo 560 has settinds/mode to handle the pre flash. It has 3 modes M, S1 and S2.
M= manual
S1= Flash mode
S2=Pre flash cancel mode.
So should be ok with the op.

Paul

-Oy-

The Yongnuo 560 has settinds/mode to handle the pre flash. It has 3 modes M, S1 and S2.
M= manual
S1= Flash mode
S2=Pre flash cancel mode.
So should be ok with the op.

Paul
Excellent - just need to figure out how to stop the pop-up flash from contributing fully to the exposure. Some sort of redirect upwards maybe?