• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help mounting vintage lens to DLSR

CognacBrown

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hey guys!

So I have a Canon EOS 1100D(Rebel T3) and was looking to mount a Helios 44-2 onto there - which outside of an adapter I can do, no problems.
But as my 1100D(Rebel T3) is a crop sensor I wanted to get an focal reducer to make the most of the lens but I am struggling to find one - I'm new to this sort of thing so unsure if I've come across it already and was just unaware or that the EF/S mount just wont work and I'd need to buy another adapter.

Any help on this would be great!

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day CB

As I understand it, that particular Helios is a screw threaded lens from the Zenit days - and you are able to attach is to current camera bodies via an M42 screw thread to (new camera) adapter. All okay so far

However the original focal length of 58mm remains unchanged, and using it onto an APS sensor body will introduce a 1,5x apparent multiplier, therefore seemingly like an 80mm lens. (I know this as I have done it myself via my 55mm Pentax Takumar onto the Panny G-series body)

The issue you seem to ask about ... "an focal reducer" will require the use of an additional lens on to front of the Helios lens (see image below)
I have an old 'wide-angle attachment' made by Schneider for Kodak and originally sold at $300. It has a focal magnifier of 0,7x, ie: optically shortening the prime lens to 70% of before - and I have used it many times over the years and very successfully... -but- I am using it on 24mm lenses to give me even more wide-angle results.

The other 'however' is that I do not know where you might find one today ~ maybe search all sorts of lists of pre-loved bits and pieces

Hope this helps
Phil
Wide-angle Lens adapter.jpg

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
The newer "Focal Length Reducers" are for use on mirrorless cameras. They sit between the lens and the camera, optics in the reducer project the larger image circle of the full-frame lens to the smaller sensor. This works as the short flange distance of the mirrorless camera gives room for the optics.

An "Auxiliary" lens screws into the filter mount, also reduced the focal length. It also shifts the focus of the lens.

You would probably be best to look for a MIR-1 37mm F2.8 lens, also M42 mount and not expensive.

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The wide angle attachments Phil has mentioned are quite different from focal reducers.
Wide angle / fisheye converters as they are more commonly known are readily available on e-bay etc. in a range of strengths many for much cheaper prices than $300. $25 is more common but quality is often disappointing. These will work with a helios provided a suitable stepping ring is used.

Auxiliary lens is a term usually used for close up diopters, but I suppose would also be applicable to the negative diopters used in early photography on bellows cameras to increase focal lengths. These are again a different item.

Brian is correct about Focal reducers they sit behind the lens & work like a teleconverter in reverse giving a wider FOV, a reduced image circle & a brighter image. Their biggest disadvantage is that the lens needs to sit closer to the sensor to focus, making them unsuitable for any lens that doesn't have a significantly longer flange distance than the camera. I think there are a few models to mount medium format lenses on DSLRs. They sometimes seem to be a magical device that gives something for nothing but sadly they do have distinct restrictions.

It's not possible to build a focal reducer to use a M42 lens on an EF mount camera (at least not without the use of relay lenses etc.)