1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help needed picking a Camera for product video/photos £500

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by peps1, Jul 6, 2018.

1. peps1

peps1 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what Camera to get to replace my Olympus that only shoots in 720p.

I will mainly be using it for product video and photos (really basic close up white backdrop generic stuff, and turntable 360, with the video being the most important part).

Budget is around £500 (happy to buy on the used market).

2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  3. peps1

peps1 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, paulmag.

Will check out MPB, for the 360s already have a motorised turntable, just the 720p video is not cutting.....wonder if I can find anything with 4K used?

4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Olympus OM-D? I'm fairly sure that has 4K and decent video capabilities but would need some research when comparing to a dslr. Second hand prices of the lower models are favourable.

5. peps1

peps1 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How does a Panasonic Lumix G7, with a 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 Kit Lens + a 25mm f/1.7 sound for a small studio setup?

Think that may be a better setup then the G7 with 14-42mm and 45-150mm Lenses buddle deal?

6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Panasonic makes great video cameras that serve well for still photography. The range of focal lengths you should choose depends entirely on the subject-to-camera distances, the depth of field you're trying to accomplish and lighting. The 25mm f/1.7 will provide much shallower dof than the zoom.

7. peps1

peps1 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    subject-to-camera distance is a little bit of an issue, as I have about 2 meters from the table to the back wall (so was thinking the 25mm could be handy getting near to the subject or slapping some micro 4/3 extension tubes for a poor man's macro.

The subjects are ranging from 28mm to 1x1m max. lighting I have relatively good control of with a range of LED lights and softboxes.

Will mainly be exporting in 1080p, but like the idea of having 4K so I can punch in, and fake some slider shots in post.

(and as you can tell very much a beginner, one man band trying to get product video and photos for my own products, so could be way off what I actually need!).