1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help please.

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by swiftflo, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM.

1. swiftflo

swiftflo Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was going to swop my Nikon equipment for Canon but have hit a problem. Sent my D800 and 2 lenses to mbp with a view to PX but they have told me that the sensor on my camera has a mark on it and both lenses have fungus in them.
    Where is the nearest reputable place to Nottingham to get these all sorted ?.

2. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  3. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fixation are excellent and have postage printable straight off their site iirc.

On a techie not I think you are making a mistake. The D800 is still one of the best cameras on the planet imo. It has vastly superior shadow performance to even the newer generation of Canon sensors like the 5D mk IV and the dynamic range is excellent on top of the incredible detail available from the high mp sensor. What is it that the Nikon doesn't do that you think a change to Canon will achieve? I've been both sides of the fence twice so don't go thinking I'm anti Canon. Just curious.

4. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lehmann are great, but very expensive. I don't know how much fungus removal is, but they charged me £500 to repair a Mk1 2.8 70-200 IS Canon lens - I hated it after that, every time I used it I thought of the bill, so traded it for a Mk11

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Repairing the D800 is probably worth it. Did you do your own sensor cleaning? You didn't mention the Canon camera you plan to get, the 5D Mark IV won't disappoint. One of the main reasons photographers choose Canon over other brands is the selection of quality lenses - there's no confusion of what works with what camera all EF lenses work the same. About lenses, fungus is nasty and can do significant harm to the value of a lens. It is easily avoided, keep your camera gear in an area with less than 60% humidity. Fungus requires about 70% humidity to grow and it gets everywhere.

steve b likes this.
  6. swiftflo

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks everyone for your input.

@Minor Problem - lost my mojo after 12 months recovering and still recovering from a spinal operation so thought a change may get me going again.

7. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sorry to hear of your spinal operation (can't of been nice). But I feel that you are being a bit extreme changing camera brands, why not just go for a new body (camera that is).

8. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It really depends what sort of mark is on the sensor. If its damage to the low pass sensor it means a new sensor which is a £900 item on a D800 (don't ask me how I know, its a long story) plus fitting. Unfortunately the low pass filter is bonded onto the 800 sensor rather than being clipped on as it was on earlier models. If it just needs a clean it's a very different story.

9. swiftflo

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was going to change to a Canon 5D3 but have now changed my mind (again) about the swap.

Regarding the mark on the sensor, MPB said there was a mark on the sensor and they would have to reduce the price offered on my camera by £40 for this, so I took it that that would be for cleaning the sensor, so it's probably just a matter of a clean.

I might just do this, just worried about the fungus in the 2 lenses. At the moment I have them in the bags with silica gel packets with them, an article on youtube say's this will get rid of the fungus.

10. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My house can be quite humid, I've just installed a dehumidifier in the studio, most of my lenses are kept in a cupboard there, fingers crossed it's not too late.

Good luck and I hope it works, the cynic in me thinks this might not be the case. If the reduced offer is just by £40, that has to be only a sensor clean. Keep your Nikon kit I would say, it's top quality.

gaelldew likes this.
  11. swiftflo

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    More help please.

Whilst my D800 was at MPB for appraisal they have deleted a lot of my settings, whilst I have got most of them back one I cannot get no matter where I try and that is the histogram.
    How do I enable this so that I can see it in Live View after taking the shot. Tried in "Playback options" but that does not work.