• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help! Unsure of issue with developed film

lilys117

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hi all!

I've just had a roll of film developed and the poor lab only managed to get 7 photos (if you can even call them that, sadly) from it, and they are horrific. All foggy/ major ?? light leaks. The 7 they got are not sequential either.

Camera is Olympus OM10 and I was using an in date (expires 12/2022) roll of Fujicolor C200. Camera is clear of any fungus, advances like normal, shutter doesn't stick, has brand new batteries etc. I usually keep it in its case when not in use, and has a hard cover over the back of the camera when in use.

I'm devastated to have lost the photos, having caught beautiful moments of a pretty pants year, but I am hoping to work out what the issue is to avoid it happening again! Any advice/questions welcomed!! What could have caused this for the whole roll? Heat? Light? Water? Poor storage pre/post exposure? Damage to camera?

I have attached a few of the scans, and also a photo shot on the same camera (and same type of film, bought from the same place too) about 2 months back. Sadly the 2 below are the 'best' of the bunch, the rest are just orange/pink blurs.

IMG_9408.jpg IMG_9414.JPG IMG_9412.jpg

JonathanJones

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The one image that came out well seems to rule out a light leak in camera.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Lilys

Firstly - WELCOME to the 'Photography Forum' - you'll find heaps of people here with heaps of knowledge and experience with all sorts of photographic experiences

Okay - to your images ~ and when considering any image you need to orient the neg / slide in the same location as it was in-the-camera -and- upside down (as the lens creates an upside-down image)

#1 ... the white band at the bottom, the orange band and then the 'foggy bit' to the right hand side
This has all the hallmarks of the first frame on the roll where major bleaching has occurred during loading into the camera, followed by some light leak (the orange bit) thru the felt light trap in the cassette. All this is 'normal' for frame zero on your roll of 24 or so images
The foggy bits on each side (of the vertical you are showing us) appear to me to be processing errors - not in-camera errors. If it were light leakage - either in-camera or during darkroom loading into the developing tank - the colours would be orange. Thus I surmise that the "wishy-washy" grey has arrived during processing of the film

#2 ... the orange 'slice' up the middle is light contamination - and sometimes occurs to frame #1 of 24 if the film has been camera-loaded in very bright sunshine and some light has come thru the felt light trap, thru frame zero and reached the next bit of film under the first frame of film
The foggy bits (now running horizontally) at the top and bottom I again suggest is a processing error

Okay - possible solutions
a) load another roll from the film carton into the camera inside the house where very bright sunlight will not intrude
b) wind on (sacrifice) frame zero .... you still have 24 others :)
c) shoot several frames around the house (ie- stuff that is repeatible for checking)
d) shoot several blank frames - leave the lens cap 'on' or shoot in a no-light-room at night. These frames after processing need to be black to very-dark-green from edge to edge when you look at them later

and
e) try a different processing lab if one is available

Hope this helps
Phil

lilys117

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
G'day Lilys

Firstly - WELCOME to the 'Photography Forum' - you'll find heaps of people here with heaps of knowledge and experience with all sorts of photographic experiences

Okay - to your images ~ and when considering any image you need to orient the neg / slide in the same location as it was in-the-camera -and- upside down (as the lens creates an upside-down image)

#1 ... the white band at the bottom, the orange band and then the 'foggy bit' to the right hand side
This has all the hallmarks of the first frame on the roll where major bleaching has occurred during loading into the camera, followed by some light leak (the orange bit) thru the felt light trap in the cassette. All this is 'normal' for frame zero on your roll of 24 or so images
The foggy bits on each side (of the vertical you are showing us) appear to me to be processing errors - not in-camera errors. If it were light leakage - either in-camera or during darkroom loading into the developing tank - the colours would be orange. Thus I surmise that the "wishy-washy" grey has arrived during processing of the film

#2 ... the orange 'slice' up the middle is light contamination - and sometimes occurs to frame #1 of 24 if the film has been camera-loaded in very bright sunshine and some light has come thru the felt light trap, thru frame zero and reached the next bit of film under the first frame of film
The foggy bits (now running horizontally) at the top and bottom I again suggest is a processing error

Okay - possible solutions
a) load another roll from the film carton into the camera inside the house where very bright sunlight will not intrude
b) wind on (sacrifice) frame zero .... you still have 24 others :)
c) shoot several frames around the house (ie- stuff that is repeatible for checking)
d) shoot several blank frames - leave the lens cap 'on' or shoot in a no-light-room at night. These frames after processing need to be black to very-dark-green from edge to edge when you look at them later

and
e) try a different processing lab if one is available

Hope this helps
Phil
Thank you so so much for taking the time to write this reply, I really appreciate it! I’ve checked the light seals on the camera and they all seem okay too. I will definitely try all the things you have mentioned and see if the next roll comes out better. I’ve never had a whole roll come out so awfully so was at a loss as to what I had done this time. Again, thank you so much - Happy New Year too!

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
It looks like either the back was opened when the film was in the camera, or the Lab mishandled the film while loading it.

As Phil suggested: try a different lab for the next roll.