1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help. What bridge camera for starter

Discussion in 'Who Are You ??' started by Posty, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Posty

Posty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, I'm new to this, I want to ny a bridge camera that will give me the nice blurred background. It will be mainly of the family. I'm not fussed about the 4K video to be honest. I just want the lovely pics. I looked at Panasonic lumix fz1000 but am I going to be paying for the video in in I'm not really using. Something easy to use. I don't mind paying up to £850ish. Please help me guys.

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is the introduction area, so welcome to the forum. I cannot make any recommendations for bridge camera, but they do pretty much all have video now. Most DSLRs have video now as well. I can say that the Lumix line does have a good reputation. For the blurred background, on any camera, you will want something that has a wide aperture (small f/number like f/2.8) but that may be harder to find on a bridge. You can do it with a wide aperture, even if you do not have real wide, like f/2.8, by keeping your subject further away from the background.

Posty likes this.
  3. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum.

Posty likes this.
  4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Posty and welcome ... as said you want a camera with a large apperture (small f number) so look for one around f2.8.
    Paul

Posty likes this.
  5. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    That's a good budget for a bridge camera. I'm not up to date on Bridge cameras but for that I'm sure you could get a decent mirror less camera system which will have dSLR like dof.

Posty likes this.
  6. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    bridge cameras are a bit jack of all trades master of none.. big long lenses can have lots of manual controls but a small sensor and not always th best image quality. convenient for the huge focal range but ultimately can be a bit of a let down and in some cases overly complicated.
    for the money yu could get a decent DSLR and couple of kit lenses, or a micro four thirds camera such as the olympus or panasonic, or a mirrorless compact such as a fuji. giving you far more room to grow if you enjoy the photography enough to take its a step beyond family snaps.
    size and convenience may be a consideration and thats where a mft or mirrorless come into play.
    saying that you could also look at a compact zoom instead of a bridge which can give much better quality inmages than most if not all bridge cameras ( talking sony and panasonic lumix models here and some of the canon powershots)
    a few exmples here
    https://www.techradar.com/news/phot...s/best-compact-camera-2013-34-reviewed-963985

DonS and Posty like this.
  7. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I've never had luck with bridge cameras. I still own one, and I just let the other half play with it whenever we go out to shoot something. I am going to be another to suggest you look at one of the compact zooms, or a micro 4/3. You will find the quality of the shots much better.

8. Posty

Posty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Could you suggest one that you think would be ideal for me please

So would a f1 number be even better? Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  9. Adam Regan

Adam Regan Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Most of these kind of lenses lenses stop around 1.2 - 1.4 although there is a Leitz at .95. The problem is always what's in focus when you're that wide - if it's just the tip of someone's nose it's probably not what you're looking for. Nikkor do a very nice 85mm 1.8, great for portraits, and works on all recent Nikon bodies. You could probably pick up both second hand within your budget. shooting around 3.5 if you're 10 feet or more away from the subject will give you the look you're after.

10. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    generally the lowest f number apart from very rare extremely expensive lenses is 1.4 though 1.8 is more common and alot cheaper. for nice out of focus backgrounds 2.8 will be more than adequate. bear in mind the closer to the subject the smaller that are of back to front focus ( for example shooting a closer up of a flower from around 1-2 feet away at say f 1.8 may only give you a few inches of back to front focus.

with your budget its a difficult one as thats alot of money to spend and you want to get whats right abe best for you ( handling , size, ease of use, compatibility, future proofing etc etc ) we could probably come up with easily 100 camera that could fit your criteria so ask yourself do you just want something thats only going to be an occasional use camera or capturing family memories of do you want to delve deeper into photography as a bi more of a hobby. apart from family shots is there anything else that interests you.. wildlife, close up macro shots, sport, big wide landscapes, portraits etc . do you want to consider in the future the optin of being able to change lenses and having a camera bag with several bits of kit in or be suffieciently happy with one camera single built in lens that can slip in a "large" pocket and cover 90% of situations.. from there we can narrow things down a little

11. Posty

Posty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    New
    Hi guys. I've gone and taken your advice and not gone for the bridge camera. Have brought a canon 200d, it's ideal for someone starting out like myself. Brought an ef 50mm f1.8 lens to go with it. Cost about £650 in total but I think it will start me of well. Thank you all

12. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome,good choice, the 200D is a very nice camera,I have one,nice sharp little lens as well,happy shooting.

13. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the Canon owners club ... lol ..... Think you should find this a good choice .... looking forward to seeing some of your results ... You have at least started off in the right direction by joining this forum, plenty of help and advice and we are a friendly lot.
    Paul

14. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Good start!

Now to begin saving. You'll probably keep the lens (the Nifty Fifty) for a while but I'd suggest you save for the 24-105mm f/4 lens which, when you purchase it, are likely to keep for life and can be used on the next camera, the one after and so on. The other lens worth looking at is the 70-200mm f/4 which will help much more with the bokeh (blurred background) which you mentioned in your original post.

Both lenses can be bought second hand at good quality. (It's a few years since I bought a brand new lens.)

15. Posty

Posty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you. Sorry taken so long to reply, loving the camera and learning

Thank you

Thank you. Am sure I will be getting a few lenses along the way. Thank you for recommendation

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2018