• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help with a Canon TX?

bananais

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Hello everyone,

I found an old Canon TX at a recent shopping trip to Goodwill. I had two local photo places look at it and I was given an estimate but I want to try to fix it myself. I'm experienced seamstress and sculptor so I'm very good with my hands! Here are some of the main things that the kind gentleman told me:
  • Meter is working
  • Needs a new battery
  • Needs some new padding where the mirrors are and possibly more
The main issue that we noticed is that the Shutter Release Button doesn't seem to work.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction in terms of resources? Or knock some sense into me if it seems too farfetched to fix it myself? :)

Images below:
IMG_1696.JPGIMG_1697.JPGIMG_1698.JPGIMG_1699.JPGIMG_1700.JPGIMG_1701.JPGIMG_1702.JPG

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Canon TX 35mm film camera requires "FD-mount" lenses. This mount was abandoned by Canon in 1987. A camera body in "mint" condition is worth about $30. Yours show problems with the light seals and you indicated that it needed a new mirror damper. Repairing a stuck shutter button is probably easy to fix as one of the biggest problems of old 35mm cameras is that the lubrication dries up and become sticky. Dis-assembling the body, cleaning all of the old lube, and replacing it is straight-forward but time consuming. Plus you can damage the camera from the lack of experience of working on them.

It might be fun to try it, little to lose. You can always replace it. The light seals and mirror damper can be replaced by generic materials found on ebay (and elsewhere).

In the U.S., the Canon TX was sold as the Bell & Howell FD35.

There are better Canon FD cameras in excellent condition for about $160. Unless you have a stockpile of FD lenses, I recommend getting a later model EOS film camera using the EF-mount. They benefit from using the same lens mount used today, so that any EF lens used since the late-1980s would work.

Generic Mirror Damper

Generic light seal

Alternative vintage cameras

Camera Maintenance

DIY Camera Maintenance/Repair Resources Series

bananais

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Canon TX 35mm film camera requires "FD-mount" lenses. This mount was abandoned by Canon in 1987. A camera body in "mint" condition is worth about $30. Yours show problems with the light seals and you indicated that it needed a new mirror damper. Repairing a stuck shutter button is probably easy to fix as one of the biggest problems of old 35mm cameras is that the lubrication dries up and become sticky. Dis-assembling the body, cleaning all of the old lube, and replacing it is straight-forward but time consuming. Plus you can damage the camera from the lack of experience of working on them.

It might be fun to try it, little to lose. You can always replace it. The light seals and mirror damper can be replaced by generic materials found on ebay (and elsewhere).

In the U.S., the Canon TX was sold as the Bell & Howell FD35.

There are better Canon FD cameras in excellent condition for about $160. Unless you have a stockpile of FD lenses, I recommend getting a later model EOS film camera using the EF-mount. They benefit from using the same lens mount used today, so that any EF lens used since the late-1980s would work.

Generic Mirror Damper

Generic light seal

Alternative vintage cameras

Camera Maintenance

DIY Camera Maintenance/Repair Resources Series

Wow, this is all great information! Thank you so much.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No

^ a scanned PDF of the original Canon Repair Manual for the Ftb and Tlb. Free.

I use the self-sticking foamie sheets found at Walmart to replace mirror bumpers. I've also used the rubber/cork engine gasket material found in the car repair department. The foam sheets are black, easier to work with. The engine gaskets- I have a couple of cameras that I did this 30 years ago, still going strong. I've also used the foam sheets for light seals for the hinged area on some cameras, but have found it can interfere with the back closing. For these- use the self-sticking felt found in sewing stores. The worst is getting the old material off- lots of Q-Tips, alcohol, and Ronsonol. Old foam gets to be like glue. For the long/slim sections of the back of the camera- I've been cutting thin strips of foam and using a flat-head screwdriver to push into the slots. Most cameras have a mechanical latch for resetting the film counter- be sure to NOT cover it up.

I have two Canon FD mount cameras, the original F-1 and the EF. The FD lenses are very good, and as it is a "dead mount" - can often be found for cheap.

You will find that some tools are required to open up these cameras. I find that most the the small retaining rings can be removed using a fine pair of needle nosed pliers.

After that- Wiha Screwdrivers of various sized.

You can probably use a better made set of jewelers screwdrivers- but the cheap ones usually break, or worse- destroy the head of the screw. Applying a little ronsonol or alcohol will loosen up a very tight screw.

The only SLR that I've dealt with having a stuck shutter release: Nikon F2.

At least will give an idea of what the camera looks like with the bottom plate removed.

Last edited:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Nikon FM w Kiron35~135 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikon FM w Kiron35~135 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I spent the last few cold/windy weekends going through boxes of cameras and lenses, cleaning, replacing seals, repairing- etc. Therapeutic after writing code all week. The material is all from the craft department or sewing store- pennies for material, investment is time and learning from mistakes. With the TL- a better description of what is and is not working would help. The shutter release is not working, that usually implies the camera is jammed. That can be anything from a broken/missing part, to just needing to find the jam, free it, clean the area, and use a light synthetic oil.

I use this:

Have used it to get several cameras working, SLRs and Rangefinder cameras.

crowtalks

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Almost all vintage SLR or TLR cameras will need the seals replaced. You can buy sheets of hobby foam at Hobby Lobby and with an exacto knife slice the foam in very thin slices to use as replacement seals

DwarvenChef

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have 2 Canon TX bodies and a pile of lenses for them, yes I have a problem... The TX can be tricky removing the top cap so be careful. Personally I’d look for a better body as mentioned earlier the AE1program mine is still chugging away since I got it in the early 80’s.

The TX is also well known to have shutter spring issues, that pretty much condemn the body to the parts bin.