1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help with Bowens flashtube please

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by yummymummy1, Nov 1, 2017.

1. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi all, I had a problem with my Bowens 500R flash, it kept flashing on it's own now and again and occasionally displayed error code E4. I have just bought a replacement flash tube (as I've had the light for 5 years and have never replaced it)
    We just fitted the new tube and turned it on, now it just flashes constantly, does anybody have any ideas what the problem can be? as I can't speak to Bowens now as they no longer exist!

2. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes I can tell you 'what' the issue is but it's a simple fix but not one for the amateur.

It's a fault in the trigger circuit, a naff'd thrysistor most likely.

However you may be dealing with several thousand volts, so it's not a fix for the uninitiated, if you're in the East Midlands I'll gladly have a look.

To replace the component costs about 50p but it could be potentially dangerous for an amateur to diagnose or replace.

3. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's really kind of you to offer thank you but I'm in Yorkshire. Is there anywhere I can send it to be repaired now that Bowens have gone into liquidation? or do you think it would be best to buy a new unit, it is 5 years old. Annoyingly my 750PRO light failed a few months back but I didn't want to spend the £270 on a new flash tube, that kept giving me an E5 error code so now I have two useless flash lights!

4. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'll gladly have a look for you, I'm always glad to help a forum member.

All I ask is you pay postage and cover the costs of any non-trivial parts.

They can be fixed usually fairly cheaply, the tube itself is the single most expensive component in flash systems, the rest of it is pretty "jelly bean" off the shelf stuff.

You'll need to drop me a PM or ask a moderator or email me at xxxxx if you can't.

(Hopefully ha!) many forum members who've met me or dealt with me can vouch that I'm a straight up kinda guy.

Chances are it's a "pint and a box of Benson's" priced repair.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    oldgeezer likes this.
  5. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oh wow that would be amazing thank you! I will email you :)

6. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Andy,

Sorry to bother you but just wondered how you are getting on with the light?

Thanks
    Emma

7. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Emma,

Been a manic few days, expect an email when I'm back at my desk!

Cheers,
    Andy

8. Lozzer

Lozzer New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Emma,

I have found a company in London called Peartree Photo who supply 3rd party Bowens flash tubes, not sure of the rules on here regards promoting companies, so if you just type in peartreephoto in google they will be at the top of the search. Very helpful guys.

good luck

Loz

9. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Andy, just checking you still have my light? I have sent you a couple of emails. Thanks

10. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Andy, could you please get back to me about my light. I've sent you a couple of emails but had no reply, thanks

11. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Emma,

Sorry life has fallen apart over the last few weeks, not ignoring you. I'll drop you an email ASAP

12. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm sorry to hear that, it may be best to just post it back to me, just worried that I don't have a spare light now in case anything goes wrong with my current one. Thanks

13. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Andy,

Any chance you could just sent the light back to me? we have an electrician coming to do some work next week so I will ask him to take a look at it. Please let me know, I have emailed you again too.

Thanks

Emma

14. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't bother showing the flash to an electrician unless he's also involved in electronics. Two completely different fields of practice. If Andy is unable to fix the light then it will need to go into a shop for repair.

15. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok thanks, struggling to find anywhere as Bowen's no longer exist. Don't suppose you know of anywhere up North?!

16. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I suspect that I'm a little too far west of you to be of any assistance. Bowens gear has been around for years, I'm sure that are many places that have the expertise to help you. You are looking for an authorized service agent for Bowens equipment

such as

www.camerarepairer.co.uk/StudioRepair1.htm

or

www.fixationuk.com/bowens-repair

Both sites appear to have significant experience with Bowens.

17. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Andy 0 Have you replied to this yet?

18. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think this has gone a little too far to be honest.
    This should have been sorted with in a couple of weeks
    Come on @Andy 0 it is taking the pi## mate.

19. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    OK, it seems all is good and is being sorted right now, hopefully. We'll hear soon.

20. yummymummy1

yummymummy1 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not received yet but I have a tracking number now so hopefully it will arrive soon, thanks

Roger S likes this.
  21. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I also have the tracking number, it states on their web site that they tried to deliver it on Friday at 4:20 and they will try again on Monday.
    Paul

Roger S likes this.
  22. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As said, i am in the middle of an intensely trying personal crisis, there has been no negative motive; being rendered homeless does somewhat recalibrate your most pressing matters of which to serve your attention.

Emma has her lamp returned as well as cash I can ill-afford toward whichever purpose she deems most pressing.

My Internet access is most limited, as a such I shall not be participating in the forum going forward.

There was no malice and I assure the best of intention meant over this, please no sleighs on my character.

Andy

paulmag likes this.