1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help with head shots for modelling agency

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by hooferinsane, Sep 5, 2018.

1. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a friend who wants to send pictures of her 15 year old daughter to a modelling agency, they can’t afford a pro photographer to take them so I said I would do them. Haven’t got the full requirements but it seems to be a headshot face on and side on against a plain background, also a full length shot in jeans and t-shirt. They stipulate/ suggest to be taken in natural light as far as I can tell. Going to do this after work about 5.30pm. Her bungalow has nice smooth white walls , so can use that. It is fairly well lit at that time of day at the moment too and the light shouldn’t therefore be too harsh. Going to use a 35mm f2 prime on a mirrorless fuji body, probably shoot at f4. There is ample room to move her away from the wall to blur the bg a bit more. Was going to just bring a reflector and get her to perhaps hold it in front of her to light her a bit more if necessary. First time I have ever done any thing like this before, so any tips are welcome. Might have to use something wider for the full length shot, so possible a 23mm f2, but am aware a wider angle can be a bit unflattering. Any tips would be appreciated, am obviously doing this for free.

Thanks

Brian

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's raining today Brian, have you not got a ttl flash you can use.I

Will be difficult if the wall is lighter than her, flash will give just a bit of fill in her.

Didn't think modeling agencies would want natural light only.

good luck mate, it's only what you do normally except your shooting for someone else.

hooferinsane likes this.
  3. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As you probably know Brian, you're going to have to get fairly close to the model for the head shots using those short focal length lenses. I'd probably avoid the 23mm (head shots) for the reason you state, i.e. can distort body features.

I've used a 35mm for hundreds of office head shots for its sharpness (Sigma ART), but would much prefer to go for something like an 85mm now (wish list for next year).

In summary, if you have a longer lens, use that one as well so you have a variety of shots to choose from.

Hope it goes well!

hooferinsane likes this.
  4. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks John. Will have to go with the 35mm as haven’t got an 85mm either, although will take a fuji 18-55 which is very sharp throughout as well. Fuji lenses are a 1.4 crop factor
    Thanks Pete. Its not today - as you say it’s raining here, playing it by ear for the weather next week. Probably will bring a flash with me anyway. Her mum is sending me a copy of what the modelling agency have said hopefully today. They also want a short video of ? her walking ? so her mum said.

5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A bit of prep time is handy. I'm sure you'll swing it.

6. riddell

riddell Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    You need to check with the agency what standards they require.
    If they are looking for pro grade photos then that is what they need, they are not accepting anything else.
    It looks highly unprofessional on a website and massively dents the chances of any model if a prospective booker looks at a page of models and sees lovely photo, lovely photo, lovely photo, and so on, all professional, to a professional standard, perfectly lit, and then so clearly sees standing out a an image which is clearly not of the same standard. Its just simply unprofessional.

If its a decent agency, then they won't accept anything less than looking totally professional.

hooferinsane likes this.
  7. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, at the moment I think it’s more a photo to be accepted by the agency. Stipulated is no makeup, head shots front and side view against a plain background

8. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sounds like base images for them to look at rather than portfolio images. I would use the longest focal length you can (55mm), it will be the most flattering. Just make sure they are well exposed, so use as much window light as possible, but not so close you'll get harsh light (plain net curtain will diffuse a little), if you need fill you can add a reflector the other side to the window.

MikeB and hooferinsane like this.
  9. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)