• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Help with old camera bodies and lenses

johnandrew

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All,
I'm hoping to get some help on some cameras and lenses I have "inherited". As part of cleaning out my parents' house, I'm now the proud owner of two boxes of camera equipment that I know absolutely nothing about. I can say that everything looks clean (no mold, no rotting rubber, no cracked mirrors), and that the shutters open and close. However, I have no idea if the speeds are correct, and I have no idea when they were last cleaned or serviced. To the best of my knowledge, they've been sitting in boxes for the last 25 years.

I've tried researching on Ebay, but I have no idea if I'm looking at the right things. I've tried posting on facebook and craigslist, and I've gotten offers ranging from $5 to $500. Here is what I have:

TYPE BRAND DESCRIPTION Serial# Notes
Body Olympus OM-2 159488
Body Nikon F 7049869
Body Nikon F 6995221 Has instructions
Body Kodak Baby Brownie Special N/A
Body Ansco No. 2 Ansco N/A Has Box
Body Olympus OM-1 705736
Body Kodak Retina Reflex EK84456
Flash Nikon F BC-7 N/A Has carrying case and instructions
Lens Olympus OM-System Zuiko Auto-Macro 1:3.5 f=50mm 119596
Lens Nikkor-H Auto 1:3.5 f=28mm 635172 Has box
Lens Olympus OM-System G.Zuiko Auto-S 1:1.4 f=50mm 191542
Lens Kodak Retina Tele Auxillary T5160 N/A
Lens Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm 674393
Lens Olympus OM-System G.Zuiko Auto-W 1:3.5 f=28mm 150626
Lens Nikkor-Q Auto 1:4 f=200mm 422731
Lens Reflex-Nikkor 1:8 f=500mm 517217 Has box and instructions
Lens Olympus OM-System Zuiko Auto-Zoom 1:4 f=75~150mm 157028
Lens Nikkor-H Auto 1:2 f=50mm 837250 Has carrying tube
Lens Nikkor-H Auto 1:4.5 f=300mm 411588 Has box
Lens Nikkor-P Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm 277322 Has carrying tube
Other Nikon M2 Extender N/A
Other Nikon Photenic FTN finder N/A
Other Nikon F2 Flash Unit Coupler N/A Has Box
Other Nikon F Waist Level Finder N/A Has box, case, instructions

I've attached some photos. I'm happy to provide more if it helps.
lens3_olympus.jpglens2.jpglens1.jpgother_bodies.jpgkodak.jpgolympus.jpgnikons.jpgcamera_bodies.jpgaccessories.jpg

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
You have correctly identified everything shown in the pictures.

With the cameras: chances are the mirror bumpers of the SLR's will need to be replaced, but let someone else do that. For speeds, check that 1second speeds open and close "in about a second". The Nikons are very reliable, chances are speeds are working. For the lenses: shine a light through them looking for haze and spots of fungus, which can happen of stored in a humid place. Look for oil on the aperture blades which could happen if the camera gear was stored in a hot attic.

The boxes look in good condition, as do the camera and lens cases. It looks like they are all in EX and better condition.

The Kodak Retina Reflex is much older, and prone to locking up.

My best advice: if there is a real brick and mortar camera shop near you, bring it all in and ask them to look at it. If they sell used gear, ask to sell it on Consignment. Usually the shop will charge 20% to 30% to sell on consignment.

I mostly have Nikon Gear, also Kodak Retina. If the view through the mirror is clean, chances are it is working. This is not a valuable camera- $50 in good, working condition.

The Nikon F bodies are "tanks". These go for $100~$150.
The lenses with cases and boxes, if all clean and working- will be on the higher end of the Ebay auction prices. The 50/2 goes in the $50 range, The 55/3.5 a little more, the others go in the $100 to $150 range. The Olympus lenses $50~80.

Also check KEH.COM for used gear prices. If they sell on consignment- contact them. Shops that buy gear outright pay less than 1/2 the price they sell it for.

An offer of $500 takes all is reasonable given the unknowns of the equipment. I've had Three Nikon F's given to me for free recently, prices are down.

Last edited:

johnandrew

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You have correctly identified everything shown in the pictures.

With the cameras: chances are the mirror bumpers of the SLR's will need to be replaced, but let someone else do that. For speeds, check that 1second speeds open and close "in about a second". The Nikons are very reliable, chances are speeds are working. For the lenses: shine a light through them looking for haze and spots of fungus, which can happen of stored in a humid place. Look for oil on the aperture blades which could happen if the camera gear was stored in a hot attic.

The boxes look in good condition, as do the camera and lens cases. It looks like they are all in EX and better condition.

The Kodak Retina Reflex is much older, and prone to locking up.

My best advice: if there is a real brick and mortar camera shop near you, bring it all in and ask them to look at it. If they sell used gear, ask to sell it on Consignment. Usually the shop will charge 20% to 30% to sell on consignment.

I mostly have Nikon Gear, also Kodak Retina. If the view through the mirror is clean, chances are it is working. This is not a valuable camera- $50 in good, working condition.

The Nikon F bodies are "tanks". These go for $100~$150.
The lenses with cases and boxes, if all clean and working- will be on the higher end of the Ebay auction prices. The 50/2 goes in the $50 range, The 55/3.5 a little more, the others go in the $100 to $150 range. The Olympus lenses $50~80.

Also check KEH.COM for used gear prices. If they sell on consignment- contact them. Shops that buy gear outright pay less than 1/2 the price they sell it for.

An offer of $500 takes all is reasonable given the unknowns of the equipment. I've had Three Nikon F's given to me for free recently, prices are down.
Thank you very much for the reply and the information. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I didn't go for the $25 for everything offer.

Olympian

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
By their serial numbers, your OM-1 and OM-2 are relatively early models.

The OM-1 was designed to use a 1.35 volt mercury battery which is no longer available, though there are acceptable substitutes -- these, you will need to research. The shutter mechanism, however, is all mechanical and should operate fine without batteries. The plastic parts in the OM-1 may have begun to deteriorate, however, becoming fragile and susceptible to breakage, depending on storage and use, but it is still a highly sought-after model.

The OM-2 is also well desired, and uses two commonly available silver-oxide batteries which it needs to operate. Without good batteries or with any number of other malfunctions it is designed to "lock up", with the mirror moving up but not completing it's cycle. If this happens the mechanism must be "reset" by turning the shutter speed dial to the red "B" setting by holding in the tiny button at about 5 o'clock on the lens mount. Due to it's age, however, the internal switches on the OM-2 may have begun to tarnish, resulting in erratic operation and/or intermittent "lock up". If this is the case, it will need an overhaul, which should include cleaning or replacing of these switches. Your OM-2 also sports an original "Shoe 1" which has connections for any standard hot-shoe flash of any brand, but may also use a "Shoe 2", which has connections for off-the-film exposure control with the Olympus Quick Auto 310 flash, or a "Shoe 3", which has connections for off-the-film exposure control with any Olympus T-Series flash, or with any number of properly adapted non-Olympus flash.

Your Olympus Zuiko lenses are excellent examples of the breed, the 28mm, though relatively slow, providing excellent "bokeh", or out-of-focus background effects, and the 50mm a remarkable macro lens. The only concern would be with the 75-150mm, many of which develop a problem with a separating internal element resulting in focusing difficulties. To check, put the 50mm on the OM-1 and be sure the camera focuses at infinity at something a mile or so away. Then replace it with the zoom, and check again. If there is an obvious problem with focus at infinity with the zoom, it likely has a separating element.

Other than these concerns, just load film and shoot, using different shutter speeds, develop and inspect -- this will tell you if they're in good shape operationally! There are a number of sites where operator manuals can be downloaded, which may be of great assistance.

Best of luck!

DwarvenChef

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice load of gear :)