1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Hen Cloud

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by Ramble Vision, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I went out with my camera today for the first time in months. Didn't really have any expectations for the shoot but the weather forecast looked reasonable. Cloudy with sun, which is often a good mix.

I decided to head up to the roaches as its a while since Ive been there. When I got there the sky looked very promising, the sun was out, bellow that there was a bit of cloud then it broke again at the horizon. Excellent I thought, should be on for some nice light.

I decided to try and take the advice of a few youtube videos I have seen of late, pick one composition and wait for the light.

So I picked my comp. waited for the light, and watched the sky fill up with cloud right at the horizon. Damn. - then to add salt to the wound I accidentally knocked over my kettle, which was just about boiled, doh was looking forward to having a bit of a warm up, the wind was right cold.. - Luckily there was a tiny patch of sky where the cloud thinned a little so as the sun got there I managed to get a little bit of light. but yeah nothing special.

Anyway was good to be out again. Already looking forward to the next shoot.

Hen-Cloud.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    SharonH and Phill104 like this.
  2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great light on this Steve, is the area still affected by the fire storms.

3. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No

thanks Paul. Im a bit out of touch. I didn't know there had been any. It looked normal to me. so presumably all sorted now.

4. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
  6. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good shot mate, lovely light on the foreground.

I’ve been thinking about this ^ for a while now. Many times I’ve found good light but not had an interesting composition to go with it. Frustrating.

7. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    cheers

indeed, im the same, and also, most shoots im frantically running around trying to chase the light, and often end up missing the good stuff or missing the composition or both, or just adding unneeded stress to the whole thing.

there were times where I nearly moved this evening, but im glad I didn't, other then not having a brew it was a very chilled out evening, so will be trying to adopt this school thought more often.

8. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    All sounds very familiar...

Tbh, my whole way of taking photos is lazy and sloppy. I hardly ever use a tripod, (always got one with me but it stays in the bag), and don’t research locations well enough, (photographers ephemeris, Google Earth etc.) I could save myself a load of aggravation with a little more effort. Need to get myself told. :)

9. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice Light, it has been a few years since I have been climbing up there.

10. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    well the finished result doesn't look sloppy, so will be interesting to see what the more considered ones will be. Mind you I don't get too worried TPE, I used to to try and be really precise with it. Now if at all, I just have a glance at it if going to a location for the first time to see where sunrise and sunset are likely to be. But I prefer to just spend a couple of days at a location or return a few times to get a feel for where the light will land.

Thanks Barry. I have not been climbing here yet. Im hoping to get back into climbing this summer when my studies are finished and I will definitely be trying to get some done here. There some awesome looking crags.

11. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  12. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    not heard of that one. Mainly only climbed froggat edge, stanage edge and millstone edge (there's hundreds of routes there). That does look a cool slab though. will have to add it to the ever increasing list.

13. Ogofmole

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just make sure you have plenty of tape on your fingers as that Grit-stone rips them to shreds.

14. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Is it worse then the usual. Pretty much everywhere I climb is grit, so build up a resilience, but some places seem rougher then others . Mind you makes you focus on using your feet :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  15. Ogofmole

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    maybe it is because we are softy's down here as we only climb on limestone.

16. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    hehe, that could be it. mind you its beyond me how you climb on that stuff. its so slidey..... :)

17. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great shot. I like the contrast and colors in this image.

18. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thank s David

19. Banjo Ryan

Banjo Ryan Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice one Steve. The Roaches is a nice spot and you've captured it well with a nice bit of light. I like the comp but I would prefer a bit more sky. Not a lot, just say half again.

20. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Sorry for the late reply Ryan, I forgot to come back and respond.

Thanks for the comment and critique. I really struggled with the sky. I tried with more but didn't seem to work. I think I found it took too much attention away from the rocks. I was struggling with the comp all together really. I would have preferred it if the rocks broke over the horizon, but there was not a vantage low enough. you cant really see in this shot but I was balanced on a thin bit of ground sticking out from the edge, and it was windy so I did not want to push my luck. But yeah agree the sky isn't quite right.

Banjo Ryan likes this.
  21. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with Banjo on the sky but a beautiful shot with great light.
    I would imagine the air was blue when tipped over your kettle :chain-gun:

22. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No

cheers Paul.

Yes there were a few choice words spoken :)

23. Tenorplayer

Tenorplayer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wonderful light in this Steve. Patience bears rewards !

24. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Love this image Steve. I might be tempted to stretch the sky a tiny bit as it feel to me like it could do with a bit more to balance things better??

25. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    cheers rob

Cheers Barry, ill have another look when I get chance. need a bit of distance still as lost allot of objectivity, literally tried so many different amounts. it got to the point that this was amount of sky i disliked the least :)

Minor Problem likes this.