1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Hi from Wales right below the Mach loop in fact.

Discussion in 'Who Are You ??' started by Aidyh1, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aidyh1

Aidyh1 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi there.

I've been interested in photography for a while now . I first owned a canon 400D(Rebel XTi) with a kit lens. I sold that lens to purchase a telephoto I bought a 55-250 realised then I enjoyed taking photos . Owned it for about 6 months then bought a 70d and a sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4

I'm now ready for my next lens your help would be appreciated

I need a good walkabout lens with a good amount of zoom so I can take photos of the odd sports events wildlife and some landscapes . I am thinking the 70 -200 2.8 L 1 or 2 ..?

The thought of that and a 2x extender

Please understand I'm not rich .... But I'm looking to spend slightly upwards of a grand .

Like i said your input would be greatly received

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum

3. Tenorplayer

IOTM

Tenorplayer Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello and welcome, good spot for aircraft shooting

4. Lady Tee

Lady Tee Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very lucky place to be...welcome to the forum. :wave:

5. Snips

IOTM

Snips Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and a warm welcome

The f/2.8 is heavy and not always ideal as a walkabout especially a long, full day. If your budget is £1,000 this will be just about enough to buy a good quality second hand version.

You might want to consider two alternative lenses instead and leave the f/2.8 for another time, perhaps after the next camera. The first would be the 70-200mm f/4 - a much lighter version and easy to walkabout all day with this lens. These are sub £500 for a second hand version and the image quality is excellent.

The second lens, again with excellent image quality, would be the 24-105mm f/4 (around £500 2nd hand I believe) although I'm not 100% sure it will fit your camera. Needs checking.

Whatever you go for, I can guarantee that you'll not be parting from any of these three lenses once you purchase them.

6. spuriosity

IOTM

spuriosity Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum!

7. tenchy

IOTM

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi and welcome. several of our members head out your way very often. I bet you could arrange a meet and see what lenses they are using.

8. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum!

9. Roger S

IOTM

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello and a warm welcome to the forum.

10. scarymonk

scarymonk Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Welcome to the forum . Went to photo planes on the loop last year and hope to go again this year

11. Ogofmole

IOTM

Ogofmole Old Hand Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome to the forum, as Steve said quite a few of us visit your neck of the woods to grab a few aircraft shots.

You will get a good clean used version for that money quite easily, or go for Edwards suggestion of the f4 version which will be lighter to carry.

12. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome .. .another loop visitor here .... I think the canon 24-105mm f4L is a cracking walkabout lens and super sharp and on your cam would also work with a 2x extender... (Yes @Snips it does fit the 70D , I have that cam and lens) .. . but whether it will be long enough for your requirements only you would know ... If you can try one on your cam first and see before buying.

Snips likes this.
  13. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hello and welcome to the forum

14. Electra

Electra Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  15. gaelldew

gaelldew Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome to the forum, handy place for going to the loop.