• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Hidden Waterfall

cbarnard7

Always on
Hi All-

I went for a camping trip with the family and the new dog this weekend. While it was all about family time, I did manage to slip away for a couple hours during nap.

About 20 minutes away from the cabin was this beautiful, hidden waterfall. I say hidden because while it's a beautiful photography location, it's a difficult hike from an unmarked trail head- it doesn't get much foot traffic (awesome). It was my first time there and I got lost almost instantly.

First off, I am really pleased with how this came out. It was a difficult shot- the light was up and down and I forced myself to use the 24mm f/1.8 only. I was soaking wet, constantly wiping off my lens and had to stand in precarious positions as the raging water made the footing sketchy- we've all been there.

I used about 5-6 exposures for this. I focused-stacked the foreground and background and took multiple exposures for shutter speed. Instead of going with a flat-light image, I really enjoyed and wanted to capture the spotty light beaming through the canopy. After deciding on the "perfect" shutter speed (see my previous post about my internal waterfall debate) I made my way back up the trail and back in time for river tubing.

I hope you all enjoy- I'm happy to say my wife approves

PS: It looks much better full-res (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbphotography/48090016986/sizes/l/)

800.jpg

H1ghlander

Always on
That's spot one, you've caught it very well indeed. It could be somewhere tropical and best viewed on the flickr link you attached for more detail.
One niggle is the long central freefalling drop of water should be vertical so a slight counter clockwise rotation is needed resulting in you losing much of the frame edges which is a shame.

cbarnard7

Always on
This is a beautiful shot, Chris.
A fine shot. The light in the foreground is excellent
Yeah, decent effort.
Magical

Paul
Excellent work Chris. The effort paid off, well done
An excellent shot Chris!
Cheers everyone! I appreciate the kind words.

That's spot one, you've caught it very well indeed. It could be somewhere tropical and best viewed on the flickr link you attached for more detail.
One niggle is the long central freefalling drop of water should be vertical so a slight counter clockwise rotation is needed resulting in you losing much of the frame edges which is a shame.
Great spot- Although my camera was leveled (according to the internal level) I agree with this. I'll try my best to straighten more without losing too much. Cheers

cbarnard7

Always on
Beautiful shot. It was a good call on your part to wait until the light was perfect.
A very nice photo there. Well worth going off the beaten track.
Nicely done! A complicated photo to take, but well worth the hassle.
It has a lovely range of colours and light here. I really like the shot and composition (bar the level)...
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I looked into a slight rotation but because my in-camera level was good, the water was raging and I already enabled profile corrections, I'm leaving it as is. :)

SFTphotography

Old Hand
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I looked into a slight rotation but because my in-camera level was good, the water was raging and I already enabled profile corrections, I'm leaving it as is. :)
That's the thing-if you use the in camera spirit level it should be straight but might appear to be not. If it wasn't for Scott's post I really doubt I would have even seen it. On the whole it is a picture to be proud of.