1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Home printer advice

Discussion in 'Forum Printing Service & Questions Forum' started by Newbandit, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It looks like I'm going to need to print things quite regularly for my college work. So I'm looking at the best options in A4 photo printers.

Spec wise I'm looking for cheap to run and reliable with a WIFI link that will work with a MAC.

Any ideas, experiences welcome for the printer, ink types and paper most appreciated

2. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How big is A4? I know the last classes I took we were using a canon pro-1 which can handle up to 16x20. I think if you need larger you may need to go with Epson and a roll fed printer.

Newbandit likes this.
  3. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    8 x !0 for you over the pond, here its 297 x 210mm. Me I have an Epson Photo PX730WD which prints OK for me but its probably changed a bit now. Had a couple of problems with air in the feed cables which have now been changed.

Newbandit likes this.
  4. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There are so many to choose from. I'v had a fair few printers in my time too. A4 And A3. If I need anything bigger than A4 I will get them printed by Loxley. This is more for college submission stuff that is often 6 x 4 but lots of them. I just need decent long lasting quality with reasonable running costs really.

5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Epson XP-760 Expression Photo was recommended to me by a forum member.

Got it a year ago and use 3rd party inks and does a good enough job for what you need.
    Had no problems so far and just received 7 high capacity inks today just under 13 quid and use them all the time. Seen no difference from genuine inks on premium gloss paper.
    Anything I need to be special i have it printed at a lab but for every day i find this combo excellent.

Newbandit likes this.
  6. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I had a look on which.co.uk and they advised to buy a Canon Pixma G3500. It takes bottled ink so very cheap to run. I'll see how it goes when I get it setup

7. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Might be worth looking at Dye Sublimation printers. Bees knees!

Try Photomart before you commit yourself (and buy second hand from somewhere). Not saying their products will be ideal for you but they hold their value so it could be worth buying one then selling later on when you've finished with it. Print quality of the DNP range is top dollar. I have the DS80 which does 8x10 and 12x10/A4 but I'm looking at the DS40 which does 6x4/7x5/9x6. (I use the latter with a competitor of mine who I work with to print and photograph.)

Quality, as I've said, is brilliant.

No inks but ribbons instead - and really quick printing although that's probably low on the priority list.

Newbandit likes this.
  8. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    These are a bit out of my price range but look great

9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was second guessing that they might be but from time to time they crop up on eBay and Amazon - I cannot stress the quality too highly. I have an inkjet Canon Pro10S which is VERY SLOW, large and heavy but excellent (and effin very expensive on ink) but the dye sublimation printers knock it for six.

If truly out of your range Photomart hire them out for £10-£30 a week (plus hefty three figure deposit) depending on which one you want which could be an option for you.

020 8527 6006 is their number - very helpful and honest in my experience.

Newbandit likes this.
  10. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Looks like a good, economical printer. I like the idea of the larger capacity ink tanks. Should lower the cost of ownership.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Newbandit likes this.
  11. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah i picked one up from PC world last night. The ink bottles are huge. I'll report back how it is when I get it setup

MikeB likes this.
  12. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    All setup and working. I can't faulty it. The huge bottles of ink really give you the freedom to just print anything you want.

MikeB likes this.
  13. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Dye or pigment inks? Now you have to sort out profiles for the paper, and decide what papers. Have fun.