• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Hot Bulb

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is a proof of concept based on a video I saw recently. The shot was setup using a 200 watt incandescent bulb, a mirror, and a sparkler. The mirror was laid flat, a blob of granddaughters play dough was used to set the bulb upright in and a blob of the same stuff used to mount the sparkler directly behind. You want the sparkler fairly close for this, but not touching. For anyone who might try this, I have a couple of suggestions. First the sparkler I used was one of the large multi-color ones (only thing we still had left), the powder was inside a tube taped to a stick. The problem with it was it changed to much during the burn both in color and intesnsity, second the sparks it kicked out always went to one side. If I were to do it again, I'd use the plain wire sparklers as they throw out a more uniform cone of sparks. Second, don't use a cheap mirror from Walmart. Apparently they're not glass, so I now have divots in the mirror from the sparks. :confused:

Other then that it was pretty straight forward. I used manual focus to set the focal point on the bulb element. I had to play around a little to get the exposure. I basically started off with the aperture at f/11, then played with the shutter till I got an almost black image, with just some hints of the bulb. Once I started I opted to change the aperture to f/13, for a little deeper DOF. Final was shot at f/13, ISO 100, 1.6. All in all it was quick, fun little project. Another advantage of the wire sparklers with their more constant burn, would be the ability to use a longer shutter.

Hot Bulb.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

hot bulb 2.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is a great concept, William. I may have to give it a go.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is a great concept, William. I may have to give it a go.
Go for it. The bulb was a little over $3, everything else was on hand, took less then 30 mins to set up and shoot. Best thing was it was all inside in the cool!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Try taking the base off the bulb. Glue the base down and then shorten the wire sparkler. Stick it in the base and light it. Camera is all set up ready for the shot. Quickly replace the top of the bulb on the base and shoot. The glass will quickly get a white fog over it.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
nice idea. But to do this inside ! :shocked:

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Try taking the base off the bulb. Glue the base down and then shorten the wire sparkler. Stick it in the base and light it. Camera is all set up ready for the shot. Quickly replace the top of the bulb on the base and shoot. The glass will quickly get a white fog over it.
Interesting idea, but im not sure it would work. Even the smaller wire sparklers put off a lot of smoke. Containing that within the bulb would quickly cause it to fill with smoke blocking most of the sparks from view, if the oxygen depletion doesn't put it out completely first. Lastly part of the effect comes from the spark trails and slow shutter. Limiting them to inside the bulb wouldn't give enough travel.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great results Paul. I am liking the rim lighting outlining the bulb.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Amazing work. Love it.