• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

How can people be so cruel?

Pete.Bony

It never fails to amaze me at how some people can be so unkind/cruel to dogs!
My wife and I decided that the time was right to get a pet dog. We talked long and hard about it and decided that we would like a whippet or whippet cross and also decided that we would get one privately rather than from one of these "puppy farms" that we hear so much about.
Eventually we found on advertised on the Internet which was a reasonable price and within reasonable travelling distance from us (40 ish miles) We phoned up and made arrangements to go and see the dog which was advertised as being a male whippet cross that was 9 months old and for sale due to a change in circumstances.
We arrived on time and rang the door bell, the sight that greeted me instantly made me sit up and think "what the hell have they done to this poor dog"? The dog (Which they had ironically called LUCKY) was nothing but skin and bones. I am not exagerating when I say you could play a tune on his ribs and you can count the vertebrae in his spine (The photos I have taken do not quite show how poor a condition he is in) He was given a dog chew while we were there and he wolfed it down as if he had never been fed before.
As luck would have it we really did like the poor chap and bought him there and then but we would have bought him anyway just to get him out of such a terrible situation. We gave him a medium sized meal when we got home (About the amount that I would have given to a working adult spaniel) and he wolfed it down like there was no tomorrow. We then decided that as we had been on the road for a few hours we would not cook and have fish and chips instead. The meal was far too much for us so the dog got what was left of the batter and the fish with some bread and butter that was left over which again was wolfed down with relish.
He settled in very well and loved to spend most of the evening cuddled up on the sofa with the wife. He is quite intelligent and will sit when told, offer his paw in return for a treat, tell us when he needs to go out and is fairly well behaved on the lead. All in all he really is a nice little dog considering the state he was in. We have put some flea treatment on him last night and he is had some worming treatment with his bowl of breakfast this morning and he will be going to the vet on Monday for a check up.
His tail has an injury which needs looking at but in the mean time I am treating it with Germolene and we are making sure that he gets all the food and attention that he wants. I've just weighed him and he is a measly 8 pounds in weight which is terribly light weight for a dog who is 19 inched tall at the shoulder.
Hopefully we will be able to get him fit and well before long and have him looking like he is properly cared for and fed properly however it really does puzzle me as to how someone can let a poor young dog get into this state.
Here are a few photos of the poor chap - Not the best quality or technically perfect but hopefully you will get an idea of how poor a condition the little chap is in.
p.s. We have renamed him, he is now called Harley!IMG_1500.JPG Harley.01 005.JPG Harley.01 001.JPG

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Pete & Harley

Well Done mate - is my first thoughts here ... and what you have described is also reported via RSPCA sites across Oz & elsewhere. Circumstances vary from dog owner to owner - sometimes it really is cruelty, other times it's simply a complete lack of understanding regarding the animal's needs

From the smile on your wife's face Harley is in for heaps of loving and I suspect that he might even need to be put on a diet in 12-months time :)

Phil

Lindsay Pennell

Premium Member
Thank you for rescuing Harley. It hurts like hell to see and hear of mistreated animals, the puppy farmers are evil and mould be made to live like their poor animals for a while to understand what they have done, but when the animals suffer through sheer ignorance and negligence it makes me so angry.
Well done, it sounds like Harley has found a good home.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Ask the vet about diet, giving him scraps because he gives you a sad look is doing him no favours.
These type of dogs can get a lot of problems with diet and dried modern food is some times required.

So far my jack Russel has cost me just over 14 grand in 18 months but worth every penny.
Good luck, he now has a loving home.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
glad he has found a loving home now. and yes it makes sad and angry that people can be so cruel.

but yes be careful with what you feed him. proper diet is very important for a dogs health.

Pete.Bony

I know about proper diet with dogs but last night was just a bit of a treat to help him settle in, he certainly will not be getting "table scraps" regularly except maybe chopped up veg which will be mixed in with his regular food.
Also I have a reasonable knowledge about keeping dogs as I used to be a fosterer for a local dogs home.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and I can guarantee that Harley will have a very good and happy home with us.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I know about proper diet with dogs but last night was just a bit of a treat to help him settle in, he certainly will not be getting "table scraps" regularly except maybe chopped up veg which will be mixed in with his regular food.
Also I have a reasonable knowledge about keeping dogs as I used to be a fosterer for a local dogs home.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and I can guarantee that Harley will have a very good and happy home with us.
No disrespect to your knowledge. :)

Not sure I could foster any animal. Would want to keep them in afraid.

Pete.Bony

oldgeezer - I took no offence whatsoever. It could be so easy for someone to try to help an animal out with the best of intentions but to get it wrong through not knowing what was best for that animal.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
It makes my blood boil to see people mistreating pets. Great to see you giving him a good home.

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
As a dog lover too I detest those who are cruel to them. Good story and lovely dog and I'm sure he'll be very happy with you both.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
A jack russell cross we had from a foster home. We were his fifth home in three weeks.
He found the right place with us. He lived for 17 years. So he must have been happy with us.

Pete.Bony

This is where the costs of keeping a dog start to mount up. Today Harley had to be insured and go to the vet. He has had to be vaccinated and treated for a stomach complaint. He has to go back in a fortnight once his stomach has settled to arrange for the damaged tip of his tail to be amputated - (The tail was damaged before we got him and left untreated so the slightest knock makes it start bleeding again) and for him to be castrated at the same time.
The costs are mounting but we wouldn't want it any other way as we think the world of him and just want him happy and healthy.

SharonH

Here a lot
Premium Member
He's such a cutie Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 018 he's definitely fallen on his paws. I have had 2 dogs whos previous owners had dumped them and driven off leaving them tied up. Cruelty to animals gets me so angry!

Pete.Bony

He's such a cutie Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 018 he's definitely fallen on his paws. I have had 2 dogs whos previous owners had dumped them and driven off leaving them tied up. Cruelty to animals gets me so angry!
I completely agree. It's a shame that we could not treat the people that ill treat their pets the same way that they have treated their pets!
At least Harley is in a safe place now where he will be looked after, fed, exercised and treated properly.

Meizuha

I believe that people can behave even morecruel, so I do not like people too much, but I really like dogs. You did an amazing job - you gave the house to such a sweet and apparently loyal creature! I think that you can take care of him and make his life much better, so that he forgot the betrayal of those people.

Pete.Bony

Thank you for your kind words Meizuha. We (My wife and I) believe that Harley is extremely happy with us, and he has many ways of showing it. According to the wife Harley is one of the family now and we wouldn't want to be without him!

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I have taken on to foster 2 fox hounds. Long story of family problems of my neighbour of which I won't go into.
I was going round every day to let them out and put them in at night.
No ideal situation as they escaped 6 times involving police and angry ignorant other neighbours.
Finding it too stressful, I brought them to my house, turned my studio into a kennel and after 3 days of being here they are so less unhappy and have settled in better than I expected. They were brought over from southern Ireland and since then have been kept in a small pen.
Circumstances of this problem were unavoidable but now I have got it sorted.
These hounds are strong and I am unable to walk them as they can't be let off the lead because they disappear for hours.
It has taken a while to get things sorted but the results are spectacular to say the least.
They have not been 'blooded' so they have no trouble getting on with my blind/deaf Jack Russel who takes it all in his stride.
We were dubious to take these beasts on but what can you do when nobody will step up to the plate.
Glad it has worked out but it was not a lot of fun for a couple at weeks.
I have a few photos but they are still in the camera but will post soon.