1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

How to "High Pass Sharpen"

Discussion in 'PhotoShop & Editing Tips, Tricks and Tutorials For' started by Garry Spight, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ATLAS

ATLAS Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's your problem right there :)

This video may not be encoded as flash. Try one of the all in 1 codec packs, they usually fix all the internet's many video file problems. I generally go with k-lite codec pack or FFDshow

2. slipper

slipper Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many thanks for the video, so helpful. There was a tutorial in the May 2012 Digital Photo, about this and I have just got around to trying it, so yours was just the ticket.

3. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have question in this... i just treid to replicate this in elements 11. I could not figure out how to do the de-saturate step. elements does not let you just desaturate a layer as far as I can tell. It only lets you make an adjustment layer.

does any one know what i can do here? can i just use the adjustment layer then merge the layers?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have no idea with elements - but not end of word if you cant desaturate, did you try cntr/shift +U?

5. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    just realised you said merge there, once you have done your high pass and your screen is grey still, try the cntrl, shift + U and then in the blend mode above the layers (tis in ps) choose hard light, this will bring the pic back to normal - just sharper

Ramble Vision likes this.
  6. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks, i shall give that a go.

7. GoldenBokeh

GoldenBokeh Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for the video

8. danielitos

danielitos New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Ive used this method for years. I often change blending mode to vivid light. After that image look like better. I have never heart for desaturate. I will try it.

Great tutorial, thanks.

Garry Spight likes this.
  9. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's ok no problem I will attempt to get round to doing more sometime

10. David Payne

David Payne Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Garry. Great tutorial.

11. Wallace

Wallace Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To get extra control ability, convert what will be your High Pass Sharpening layer to a smart object. That way you can go back and adjust the Filter settings and the blend mode. Adding a layer mask will give the ability to selectively sharpen the layer.

Snips likes this.