1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

"How to" question regarding EXIF data

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by LostBoy, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LostBoy

LostBoy Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello All,
    I'm very new here and while I've been taking pictures for a long time I am also new to DSLR's (I actually just bought a Nikon D7200 this week). I've been stalking for a while and see where people talk about posting EXIF data as well as seeing EXIF data on this forum but I can't seem to find a tutorial or information on either.

I'm sure there is something already posted regarding this topic but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    LostBoy likes this.
  3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @rebel06 provided a good resource. Here's another good overview of EXIF data.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-exif-data

Generally, there is little consistency application-to-application as to how EXIF data is viewed, edited, or incorporated into edits. For example, EXIF viewers can be added to browsers so that you can view some of the EXIF data, but each viewer handles the interface differently and each only shows a selection from the total amount of data available.

Camera manufacturers embed each image with standard information on exposure and copyright. They may include additional information about the camera settings, lens information, and GPS coordinates. They may even add special information known as "maker notes." Then if the image is edited, the editing software may add EXIF information about what occurred in the edit.

EXIF data can be very helpful in assessing an image, demonstrating ownership, tracking changes, cataloging lenses and focal lengths used, recording where and when an image was taken, and many other useful bits of information.

Andy 0 and LostBoy like this.
  4. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Huh!! thats twice I've been typing and have been beaten to the post each time. LOL.

5. LostBoy

LostBoy Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank for the replies. I know what EXIF data is but I don't understand how to see it on this forum or ensure when I post it is included.

To see EXIF data on this forum do I need some type of add-on for internet explorer?

6. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes you need an Exif Viewer to view it , and it should be included automatically in your images unless your software strips it ..e.g .. Photoshops "save for web" can strip it
    Paul

Google it for IE

7. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To view the EXIF on the forum, yes you need to install an EXIF viewer. I am not sure if there is one for internet explorer, but firefox and google chrome do support them. In chrome I use EXIF VIEWER

LostBoy likes this.
  8. LostBoy

LostBoy Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I meant Microsoft Edge (apparently I'm dating myself when I say Internet Explorer :)). Anyway, I did a quick search and there doesn't appear to be one for Edge so I guess I need to switch to using Chrome or Firefox for this forum.

Thanks for the link @hooferinsane I opened Chrome and downloaded the viewer and now I can see the data on the photos in the forum! I guess I will start moving my other favorites to Chrome so that I don't have to switch between browsers.

I also appreciate everyone else's replies and help! We'll see if I have any issues with posting EXIF data to the forum once i have a picture or two that I feel is good enough to post here!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2018
    hooferinsane likes this.
  9. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes there isn't one for Edge.

10. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just for other newcomers, I have made this thread a sticky at the top of the "Photography and Camera Basics" forum.

LostBoy and hooferinsane like this.
  11. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You need to switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Even MS have demonstrated Edge's function is to bootstrap Chrome in a famous live demonstration whereby an MS engineer demonstrating MS software gives up and downloads Chrome during a live seminar.

12. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sorry Paul " Save for Web" gives you the opportunity to do so or include it in the box that comes up.

13. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes Garth, thats why I said "can Strip" the exif ..... also our forum can strip the Exif if too large an image it uploaded.
    Paul

14. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  15. Wolstan Dixie

Wolstan Dixie New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Newby here - I too have an EXIF question.

I have an image taken by someone else which says 'ISO 200 f16 30sec 'Exposure Bias' -1.3 steps'
    (1) Does 'Exposure Bias' mean 'exposure darkened by 1 1/3 stops' from the meter reading'?

I am trying to calculate the likely exposure on another (film) camera taking the same image at ISO100 f16
    (2) Are the above exposure parameters the ACTUAL (after applying the bias) or the METER reading (before applying the bias)?

ie (no bias) would it be 60 sec or 30 sec?

16. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    First you must consider that ISO 100 is 1/100th second at f/16, so ISO 200 is 1/200th second at f/16. So in fact, you are going directly back to the exposure triangle calculations before you ever begin. If in fact you can get a meter reading in that low light, then you are definitely going to apply the -1.3 stops to your actual meter reading.

So the question arises, as to whether the digital image you are attempting to emulate was taken at night, or was it taken using ND filters to lengthen the exposure time, and can you duplicate those exact circumstances?

Actually, it would be closer to 60 seconds since you are halving the ISO time by using ISO 100 film.

17. Wolstan Dixie

Wolstan Dixie New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks for this.

Actually I am trying to estimate the exposure time of a film photograph from 1967 which I know the ASA and f number of, using a modern digital photo of the same scene whose EXIF info I have. It is of the interior of a church, so it is pretty dark.

But you haven't answered my fundamental question - are the EXIF exposure parameters before or after applying the Exposure Bias'?

18. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

19. Wolstan Dixie

Wolstan Dixie New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Oh dear - what to do, here am I a newbie and there are you the administrator with 62,000 posts. It seems very presumptuous to persist, but I must reiterate that you haven't answered the question, and you don't seem to appreciate the problem. Merely highlighting a portion of your previous answer does not help. I do not have access to the location or a light meter, and in any case would not a compensation of -1.3 stops DARKEN the image not lighten it?

The question is - Are the EXIF exposure parameters before or after applying the Exposure Bias?

20. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Pardon me for misunderstanding, then. I got caught on your original question, which reads: "

I have an image taken by someone else which says 'ISO 200 f16 30sec 'Exposure Bias' -1.3 steps'
    (1) Does 'Exposure Bias' mean 'exposure darkened by 1 1/3 stops' from the meter reading'?"

So the answer you want to hear is that EXIF is actual values recorded by the camera at the point of the image being shot, which of course already includes the exposure compensation. The answer to the second part of that question is "yes". Minus 1.3 steps is darker than the meter reading.