• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

How to use a vintage Argus Tele Sandmar 100mm f4.5 on a Nikon or M4/3 Camera?

iKokomo

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I was just wondering what adapter I would need to use an Argus Tele Sandmar 100mm f4.5 on either my Nikon (F or Z) or M4/3 camera? What mount is this lens?
Thanks!

IMG_6267.jpegIMG_6268.jpegIMG_6269.jpeg

Ozzie_Traveller

G'day
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Ikokomo

It has been many years since I used screw thread lenses - so I hope my memory is up to it!

The lens above has a screw mount that will either be the "Leica M40" thread or maybe the "M42" thread used by Practica and Pentax and many other cameras. In each case there are plenty of 3rd-party suppliers making adapters for modern bayonet-mount cameras. I have one to mount an old Pentax lens onto my Panasonic G-series camera body

Talk to dr Google for precise specs on each thread, carefully measure your lens and once you know which adapter to go for you will be able to get a suitable adapter

Hope this helps
Phil

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As far as I can tell, this is an Argus "C-3" mount lens with the gearing for the coupled rangefinder. The screw thread would be 33mm if I'm right. So, we're looking at something similar to this:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Leica uses a 39mm thread, Pentax "universal" is 42mm.

I also have this lens.

I do not see a suitable adapter on Ebay for this lens to go onto the Z-Mount. This lens is not the Argus Geiss mount, and is difefrent from the Argus C44 mount.

This one states it is for the C3 mount lens- should work.

The Argus 50mm F3.5 "Cintar" is a good triplet design.

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Leica uses a 39mm thread, Pentax "universal" is 42mm.

I also have this lens.

I do not see a suitable adapter on Ebay for this lens to go onto the Z-Mount. This lens is not the Argus Geiss mount, and is difefrent from the Argus C44 mount.

This one states it is for the C3 mount lens- should work.

The Argus 50mm F3.5 "Cintar" is a good triplet design.
More specifically the Leica screw thread is M39 at 26 tpi (a strange mix of Metric & imperial) M39 threads are used on several other mounts at different registrations (zenit M39 is about 45.2, Leica about 28.8, then there are the rarer variants...)
Pentax/Practika/Universal... is M42x1
But there is also a finer pitch screw thread that is common M42x0.75 often called T2 (but sometimes also called M42 particularly on e-bay)

In the past I saw reports that the Argus C3 uses a M33 thread (while their model 21 has a M38 thread) neither of which seem to be used by anyone else. Some widely varying registrations are quoted for Argus C3 (I've seen 17.7 & 41.9). I gather the Argus C44 uses a bayonet mount.

There are also lens mounts in M36x0.75 (AkArette), M37x1 (Ashaiflex), M40x1 (Practiflex), M44x1 (Miranda), M46x1 (another Miranda), 1" 32tpi (c-mount), 5/8" 32tpi (d-mount) and then some medium format screw mounts & another range for large format.... I've picked up a few lenses that don't match any of them - or don't have a mount at all!

If you have problems finding a suitable adapter it is usually possible to rig something using a stepping ring & a helicoid (so you can adjust the registration or focus). I must have at least a dozen done this way.