1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

I’m not made to be a landscape tog.

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Phill104, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Today I made the three hour drive down to Portland Bill. My plan was to get some wildlife shots in then change setup for sunset as the weather and high cloud looked promising. I did OK with the wildlife stuff then found an interesting remains of a wreck. So I setup the 80D and composed the shot. I then realised I bought the wrong lead for my remote so had to switch to the 7D2. Got a few shots in then for some unknown reason sat back straight i a rock pool. So now looking like I has a trouser accident I decided to wander around the rocks and setup for the sunset. While moving around I slipped spraining my ankle and smashing my knee on a perfectly positioned bit of Portland stone. At that point I gave up and headed for home. Big hole in the knee of my now blood soaked jeans and a soaked groin area doesn’t make for a comfortable three hour drive. Battered and limping I am wondering why anyone thinks landscape photography is easy.

Maybe someone knows what this is the wreck of. Found it a few hundred yards north east of the lighthouse. I also left it too late tide wise as most of the prop and drive were now submerged.

A55A9285_1024.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    SharonH, VstromJay and Hatter like this.
  2. Hatter

Hatter Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ouch! As someone who once dislocated a shoulder in a "photography accident", I feel your pain, Phil.
    At least you got a decent picture out of it.

Phill104 likes this.
  3. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I feel your pain Phil, often!

The only people that think landscape photography is easy are those that either haven't tried it or don't put enough effort in to get anything better than snapshots.

I spent the entire morning yesterday hiking down a muddy cliff path to a barely accessible cove and back. I haven't even bothered looking at the images yet as I know there isn't anything worth keeping but the experience was great. Being responsible for the only footprints on a couple of miles of beach on a beautiful morning means more than coming away with a decent image.

I really noticed on the way back up that I hadn't taken the time to thin down my bag for hiking. The holy trinity of 2.8's, 4 1.4 primes, my drone and my monster tripod makes my bag the best part of 20kg.

I like your shot though so it wasn't a total loss.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Phill104 likes this.
  4. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks all. The more I try landscape the more respect I have for all of you that do it so well.

I did enjoy the experience. Walked the best part of 20k through the day too. Never been to Portland Bill before as I usually stop at more windsurf friendly spots. Lovely place but packed with grockles.

5. SharonH

SharonH Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Love the photo!

Phill104 likes this.
  6. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well at least you've got a photograph to remind you of that memory :exit:

If there's one thing I've learned in this camera clicking game, good photographs come from effort and they just don't happen. Yes, we all have a lucky click from time to time but whether it's planning and waiting patiently for a wildlife shot, trekking in difficult terrain or walking a long way with heavy equipment for a particular landscape in changeable weather, standing for hours in rain at a sports event and even water drop photography with loads of trial and error shots - it all takes effort to achieve a better photograph than a quick snap.

Good shot above and just wondering if it might improve without the sky in there? Love the simple colour palette.

Phill104 likes this.
  7. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is a good photo. Worth it.

Phill104 likes this.
  8. SharonH

SharonH Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A lady in Saltram House yesterday asked me if they could put my bag somewhere locked, she was astonished how quickly and enthusiastically I said yes please, that camera equipment is indeed heavy lol

Snips likes this.
  9. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks all. Really aching today and got the mick taken at work. Both elbows very visibly grazed drew the obvious jokes.

SharonH likes this.
  10. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ain't no landies tog without a similar tale to tell, trust me. Some worse (I see barry has posted, he has some good ones!)
    Also @Minor Problem I was thinking about the weight when you were telling me stuff recently LOL.

11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is really all new to me. I find wildlife simple by comparison. Was chatting today to a chap who spent three years trying to get one shot he had in mind. He’d been to the location in Ireland 70 miles from his home (which is about 1 weeks journey over there) with his family and the light and shot he saw was in hi words “Fec**ng jaw dropping”. Only problem was Murphy’s law was in play and his camera was many miles away. So ever since he has been driving down whenever the forecast looked right. Not sure if it is dedication or stubbornness. The shot he achieved in the end truly is amazing.

12. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The D850, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 & Nikon 135 f/2 arrived today. I now have three full bags, one with my Fuji kit, one with the D800 and holy trinity of zooms and one with the D850 and 6 primes. Bonkers!!

We've all got similar stories, I have one local bay that is very beautiful but because it faces directly south it only sees sunrise or sunset for about a month in the winter. During that period you can shoot both sunrise and sunset in the bay. Every year I go there as many times as possible over that period and still haven't got a shot that I'm happy with.

Very very rarely it happens the other way around. Last winter I spent one night in Bristol and decided that I'd get up for sunrise and shoot the Clifton Suspension Bridge and saw one of the best sunrises I've ever seen let alone captured.

As Steve was hinting at I drowned my first D800 and 24-70 in a massive freak wave writing them off and then about a year later used a rocket blower to clean off a few specks of dust on the sensor of my second D800 which turned out somehow to be full of sand. The high pass filter was destroyed meaning a whole new sensor assembly had to be fitted. I'm a liability with kit.

Phill104 likes this.
  13. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't give up on landscape photography, besides it being rewarding the stories that landscape photographers share are always more entertaining than those given by birders.

Minor Problem, Snips and Phill104 like this.
  14. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don’t feel like I’ve properly visited or photographed a lake until I’ve fallen in it. :) I seem to have more and more mishaps these days, the wife’s stress levels are through the roof, so she tells me, when I have a day out with the camera in Wales. Anyhow, no pain, no gain, etc. Very nice pic btw., your suffering wasn’t in vain.

Phill104 likes this.
  15. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A lovely shot and i'm with Snips on maybe losing the horizon. I have to laugh at some things what happen to us togs in the pursuit of the perfect shot and I've had a few too.

16. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ve been hating the horizon since I cropped it. There was nothing in the sky of interest so clipped off what was there. You are right, it would be better with just the sea.

17. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sounds a normal landscapers day..........I went to Flamborough to get a sunrise a 200 mile round trip only to get there and the steps down to the bay I was at where washed away a few days earlier in a storm.

Tide table and photographers ephemeris not a great deal of help that day.

Phill104 likes this.
  18. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, but listening to birders is a great way to fall asleep :)

19. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Rope and some other climbing gear would be more helpful. Hopefully you got something out of it.

20. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As suggested I tried an edit with the sky removed. Hope it is better.

A55A9285-Edit_1024.jpg

21. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Definitely improved!

Phill104 likes this.
  22. John Bruce

John Bruce Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, prefer the second image.

Phill104 likes this.
  23. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Remember this edited one for next year's Landscape/Seascape Image of the Year competition - a worthy contender!

Phill104 likes this.