• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

I am not a landscape photographer .....

peterjones105

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
......but I will photograph landscapes when I see them: one of my passions apart from photography is keeping fit and as such I enjoy fell walking in Cumbria.
Of course I carry a camera and this is a snap of the last part of the ascent to Great Gable.to great gable summit.jpgable.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi Peter. The natural progression from fell walking in Cumbria is to photograph your walks then before you know it you are a landscape photographer. You live in what I regard as one of the most diverse locations in the UK so finding interesting compositions, inspiration and motivation shouldn't be an issue.
The picture. I'm not entirely sure what your intentions were but the end result is a little disconcerting, abrasive and harsh on the eye. As Barry, a highly experienced and capable landscape photographer, has said above the vignette is fairly full on thus distracting, as is the large text at the top of the frame. A vignette should compliment the picture, not dominate. It should be barely perceptible but enough to do as intended, draw the eye to the centre of the composition.
I see no reason not to pull back most of post production to let the natural elements of the picture shine through. The couple in the distance are an interesting inclusion adding greatly to the picture. The foreground is engaging but as the eye travels through the scene it's met by an overpowering off putting vignette. I like a good vignette like the next guy but there comes a point when it impacts negatively on a picture.
Don't take this the wrong way but I come across a lot of budding landscape photographers who's perception of a good photograph is to take a mediocre picture then edit the s**t out of it back home. In my experience this method rarely works if it works at all or results in anything approaching a pleasing picture. If it does then it's usually more by chance than anything else.
My advice is to concentrate on the picture taking elements (composition, study of light, tone, texture and colour, locations, time of day, seasons) allowing for a small amount of processing to begin with. As you gain experience and knowledge in the physical aspects the post production will follow naturally to the point you develop a style unique to you rather than the generic formulaic approach the internet is over saturated with producing dull and boring pictures which holds the viewers attention for a nano second before scrolling past.
Processing is a dark art to master and a continuous learning curve taking many years to cement a style. Rarely does anyone truly master the art and it cannot be achieved overnight. Something, once told to me by a highly accomplished photographer, I often repeat and has stayed with me since I first heard it is there are those who study photography, then there are those who study the art of photography. There is a distinct difference, which group would you rather be in?
Good luck and hope to see many more of your pictures from the fells, it's an area I love and know from following other photographers from the area.

peterjones105

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Personally I find your remarks patronising,arrogant, condescending and totally inappropriate, if that is the nature of this site then I am best out of it.
Peter.

peterjones105

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Mods, with immediate effect I wish to terminate my membership and any association with this site.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Personally I find your remarks patronising,arrogant, condescending and totally inappropriate, if that is the nature of this site then I am best out of it.
Peter.
Really? After that helpful and constructive lengthy post?

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Mods, with immediate effect I wish to terminate my membership and any association with this site.
If that is what you want I will refer the issue to an Admin, I do however believe Highlanders intention was not to be condescending or patronising but merely to be constructive and I am sure that the critique took some time to put together. Both Highlander and Minor Problem are highly skilled landscaper's and their experience and willingness to help other members with detailed constructive critique should be seen for what it is even if we don't necessarily agree with it.

As with everything we all have different opinions and at the end of the day if you like what you have produced that is all that really matters.

Also as a side note if you do decide to stay and you don't want critique in a future post/s make sure your prefix is set to 'Just Sharing'.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As per your request, your membership is herewith closed. Thank you for your brief stay in the best photography forum on the web.

Last edited:

Bobman

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think Peter was far too "advanced" to accept constructive criticism in the spirit it was intended.:peace:

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Oops...had no idea Mr. Jones was advanced, at least the picture title was accurate.

Banjo Ryan

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wow, can't believe that. Your reply was most appropriate Scott, and you'd put a lot of time and effort in to help out the OP.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Wow, can't believe that. Your reply was most appropriate Scott, and you'd put a lot of time and effort in to help out the OP.
Aye, no accounting for some folk. To some, any well meaning constructive criticism is their kryptonite.
In all honesty Mr. Jones appears to be a photographer of many accolades, though not in the landscape genre. But when you present a picture titled 'I am not a landscape photographer' of such low quality with standards to match processed in an amateurish ham fisted fashion what other assumption would one make other than a beginner in need of some pointers. Had I known Mr. Jones regarded himself in great esteem I'd have been harsher in my comments because the picture is atrocious by most standards. I'll likely not comment further as Peter Jones appears to have flounced off therefore has no right of reply.

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Crikey, he did not last long....

Reminds me;

I am not a landscape photographer
I am a landscape photographers son
And I'm only photographing landscapes
Until the landscape photographer comes along

Say that with a drink or two...:)

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Aye, no accounting for some folk. To some, any well meaning constructive criticism is their kryptonite.
In all honesty Mr. Jones appears to be a photographer of many accolades, though not in the landscape genre. But when you present a picture titled 'I am not a landscape photographer' of such low quality with standards to match processed in an amateurish ham fisted fashion what other assumption would one make other than a beginner in need of some pointers. Had I known Mr. Jones regarded himself in great esteem I'd have been harsher in my comments because the picture is atrocious by most standards. I'll likely not comment further as Peter Jones appears to have flounced off therefore has no right of reply.
It's a shame my response got moderated....

Last edited:

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Did not see your original post. Was it that bad???

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think Peter was far too "advanced" to accept constructive criticism in the spirit it was intended.:peace:
Oops...had no idea Mr. Jones was advanced, at least the picture title was accurate.
The number of times we see someone new who puts "advanced" and then acts similarly to this, too many times.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
At the end of the day, the only way to improve and go forward is to be able to take on constructive criticism. Unfortunately there are those arent able to do this.
btw, the profile pic reminds me of the old invisible man