1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

I can't repeat this enough, but check your website(s)

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by SeanNeedham, Apr 5, 2016.

1. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Really it's common sense, but not just checking the "pretty", make sure things still work like posting, adding images and that...

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had a few calls (two yesterday) more than usual regarding different systems starting to play up, some were auto-updating installs, some were custom builds, others were installs that had the updating turned off.

Some of these were down to plugin writers being dicks and deprecating (or in a case of one site, collisions within the global register between two plugin writers) without documenting, a couple of others were down to the hosts updating to a more modern/secure version of PHP and functions that came before have been deprecated within the system, and others were just down to bad (I mean in one case being able to navigate to http://domain.tld/passwords.txt) builds/maintenance schedules.

If you know what some or all of that means, take notice of it, if not find someone who does!

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Sean. Mine are working fine. :D

3. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mine are at the moment... Until I decide to experiment on something; I got rid of the "off the shelf" stuff last year, and only things that could theoretically bite me are when the hosts change the PHP/SQL versions.

The good thing that's come off this though, is all the websites associated with work were hit with one or a few problems in the last round of server updates and plugin updates so finally I've convinced folk enough to allow me to build a specific for purpose system that relies on not a lot of anything external and is designed from floor upwards for the purposes needed and as all bar one are on the same server I can get in and really go to town developing stuff with a lot of modular and recyclable assets as well.

Roger S likes this.
  4. Tenorplayer

Tenorplayer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don`t know if it`s the same subject Sean ( As Im a self confessed computer thicko) but lately Ive been unable to connect to my investments site to log in with chrome and have resorted to connecting through IE to log in

SeanNeedham likes this.
  5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well you can repeat that ad much as you like Sean, I don't understand any of it. :(

By the way are you in better health now ?

SeanNeedham likes this.
  6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    good to do I have reorganised my sites to make them easier to maintain and do check regularly good practice anyway just had notification email of some scrote trying to login :) to one of my sites.

Never use same username as site name have something with no link to the site....

SeanNeedham likes this.
  7. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't worry about the gibberish, a reference manual for this stuff (usually in a foreign language) is better than sleeping pills for me!

As for better health, a lot better thanks Pete, just starting to get that itch to get back out and doing; and all in all listening to what the hospital says, not overdoing it (but at the same time doing plenty of physio, exercise and even daft things like learning how to put my foot on the floor again as the whole leg feels different). The best thing is since the "upgrades" I've been sleeping 8 hours solid (or more) and not needing pain medication; and without getting woken up by shooting pains down through the knee which in itself has made the whole job worth it.

Hmmm, that's one I can't help out with there, as I don't use Chrome but this may be a start to see if it's a connection error https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6098869

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    oldgeezer likes this.
  8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Glad to hear it Sean.

SeanNeedham likes this.
  9. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I work with a web developer. He showed me logs which indicate continous hack attacks on his domains which are specifically targeted at weaknesses in WordPress sites (his doesn't use WP).
    Just sayin' !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Andy325i and SeanNeedham like this.
  10. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I only get about 5 to 6 a day trying to access my sites. Most of the dummies try to log in with "Admin" or "Roger". However, my admin name is so far removed from the sites that there's probably not a chance in HEdoubleL that someone would guess.

SeanNeedham likes this.
  11. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    the biggest weakness in wordpress is generally the ones that put the sites up.. because its easy to use they go for easy and hope

SeanNeedham likes this.
  12. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Not always I do admit but sometimes it is worth paying for things - I donate to the Zenfolio funds and this sort of thing is never an issue.

SeanNeedham likes this.
  13. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    funny you should say that Sean.
    I have neglected the photo site for a while (other than updating plugins) and parts are now broken of course!
    Not drastically but not a good first impression.

SeanNeedham likes this.
  14. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In relation to what @balami just said, I see it in the logs as well on "non-WP" sites, it's mainly automated systems that do it, but generally I put in the "admin" with a default password and then the "generic" username what they would think of, and block them so the combination comes back as a banned user and straight in to the turdpile they go. So much easier than having to fire off back end security (and a lot less use in server resources as well until the backend stuff auto-turdpiles them).

Yeah, the sites I work on (just work stuff as my personal one doesn't require on any codebase bar my own) I'm generally checking once a week in the oily bits. I also keep a full copy of with mirrored DB's on my local systems so if I need to make changes to templates or what, I do that all locally, test and then fire off up to the server proper.

balami likes this.