1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

I just got asked if one of my photos can be used

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by DonS, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I received this just now:

Dear Don Smith
    I am a freelance writer in Brighton and I'd like to submit this photo of yours with an article I'm writing for Stamp Magazine about Royal Mail Ships. If you are happy for me to use it, could you please email me a high res version of it (300dpi) to XXX@XXX
    There is no payment available I'm afraid but if they use it they would give you a credit. And I'd email you the PDF if you give me your email address.
    Cheers
    John
    I know many have opinions on this. First, I am sure he is being paid to write the article so why should by photo not be paid for? On the other side I am happy to get the photo used. Should I hold for some money?

This is the photo:

_MG_6258.jpg

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm wondering why a British magazine would want an image of the Segwun, complete with Canadian and Ontario flags flying.

3. Peter Glynn

Peter Glynn New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Haripaul and DonS like this.
  4. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The magazine is £4.50 a month so all commercial.

As someone with no interest in selling images in anyway i would .............Ask for a consideration of whatever size you think £5.00 or £50.00 and a licence for single use in Stamp magazine.

its this @Roger S

RMS Segwun is the oldest operating steam driven vessel in North America, built in 1887 to cruise the Muskoka Lakes in the Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, a resort area with many lakes and rivers. Early in the 20th century, Muskoka was poorly served by roads. Vacationers were transported to lodges, or private cottages, via a fleet of steamships, including the Segwun. She is one of only four ships in the world still carrying the status of Royal Mail Ship.

tenchy, Roger S and DonS like this.
  5. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Its nice to have something in print but do ask him if he's supplying his work for free? He might be but somehow I doubt it.

Haripaul and DonS like this.
  6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    And just in case you are wondering if there is any money in printing hobby magazines this is the publishers last posted accounts via companies house>

No idea how much the freelance is getting but no point being freelance and doing it for free...........I dont think free is used in that context :)
    Capture.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    tenchy and DonS like this.
  7. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One of only 4 remaining Royal Mail Ships.

Selling is not my goal either, but since they are making a profit from it.

I doubt he is. This is why I posted, I wanted to get enough info to make sure I cover everything in my reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  8. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    as a matter of principle id request some form of payment, if only a small amount, at the end of the day, everyone else is getting paid, why not you? as you say you don't really go out to sell images, so no worries if they change their mind after seeing the price, that said there good chance they won't, its a good image and it will look good in the article. so they will find the money.

or you could give him the image for free and charge £25 pound administrative fee's if your feeling kind

Haripaul likes this.
  9. GarryN

GarryN Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with the others, everyone connected with the magazine will be getting paid, there is no reason why the photographers shouldn't.

If you give it away for nothing, that is exactly what you will get out of the deal; nobody will see your pic and a) be interested that it was you who took it and b) get you some actual paying business.

10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Tell him to sod off. I'm sick and tired of people taking other people's photos for granted. It's lazy and not to say greedy on his part.
    If it's good enough to publish, it's good enough to be paid for.
    Ask him for payment and if he says 'no' then it's his loss.
    I do no end of freebees but it is only when I'm offered payment or I offer my services to genuine people but when asked by some looser and told there is no payment then it's a definite NO !!!!!!
    Who is gonna see it anyway, not people who are gonna want your services in future I would say.

arteta likes this.
  11. keagriver

keagriver New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've had this situation myself. Once I just said fine, then I noticed thy didn't even credit me. I followed up and got a subscription to their magazine. Another time I asked for a copy of the book being published. That certainly felt better. Nowadays I'd likely ask for some kind of consideration. Free exposure isn't worth anything. I use Getty prices as a negation starting point, and give a discount from there. Good luck.

12. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Let him know how much it cost for you to make that photo.

Your time
    The gas used and any other travel and food expenses
    Wear and tear n any of your gear (depreciation) as we do only have a limited number of clicks.
    Cost of storage space for where the image is stored.
    You cost for any further editing you performed.
    Parking fees

and then say I am only charging your use of my image in your magazine X

As it is with an article and not necessarily the cover shot I would charge between $5 and $25 US depending on how much of a page your image will be covering. (These are pretty much standard rates paid in magazines around here).

It's to give the author an understanding that making a great image is not free. It comes with many costs that many of us are more than willing to pay..even if for our own enjoyment of a particular event.

13. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had a similar situation at the end of last year. Someone writing a book about beach huts asked to use one of my pictures but no mention of paying. Rather tongue in cheek i replied that i did not give photos away but i would grant a single use licence for £30. To my surprise she agreed but said her publisher was responsible for payment and i should invoice them. I rather foolishly sent her the high res version before i was paid and it took 3 months of chasing and threatening before i eventually got the money. So should the situation arise again it will be payment before release of the image

stan

14. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice to be asked but agree with the guys above.

15. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have not replied yet, got busy with stuff yesterday.

16. Paddy Landau

Paddy Landau Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It says (among other things), "Just because a photo is on the internet, it doesn't mean it's free to use. Understand copyright!"

I help edit a community volunteer-run non-profit magazine, so of course there really is no budget. However, I am careful to check that submissions of images include copyright permission. Sometimes I want to use an image, and I usually get permission because it is free advertising for an event for the organisation (usually a charity). That is, of course, a non-commercial use.

I have had people send me an image for use with an article, and when I've queried the copyright for the image, they've replied along the lines of, "I found it in a Google search, which means it's in the public domain so it's OK to use."

Um. So is the Coca Cola logo and countless others, but that doesn't mean that they are free of copyright!

DonS likes this.
  17. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Haven't read all the replies but it's always an unequivocal NO.
    As you say, he's being paid so why shouldn't you.
    In my experience credit brings you nothing.
    Giving your work away for nothing not only devalues it but also devalues the profession.

18. Taxboy

Taxboy Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Agree with everyone else. Ask for payment..... in a nice way of course The value of the article to him as a writer increases with your image. He can ask more for the work as words plus pictures compared to say just supplying the words and the magazine having to pay a royalty from a stock library

19. ImSoQuazy

ImSoQuazy Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with you sir.
    Let it be known that my first experience I was asked, so I gave (free), used in online, and credit NOT given to me. In short, it stung.
    My second experience is awaiting to happen... I was asked, this time I suggested a donation - did not set a price - I'd be tickled with $5.00 bucks. Still waiting to hear back...
    Long story short, not for free. As our friend MinorProblem wonders... Is he working for free as well?

20. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have replied, made the case for being paid. I used the example of the last magazine that used a photo and how it was not a question of paying me, it was only a matter of how much. I also touched upon it being a commercial magazine and the publisher being healthy.

I forgot, I also mentioned that I would keep an eye out for the article since I like history and it sounds interesting. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    shotokan101 and Roger S like this.
  21. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He replied and copied the editor. Now it is up to the magazine.

balami likes this.
  22. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They think they have enough photos, but if they do need it they will pay. I think I was too slow on my reply.

23. balami

balami Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well done for standing your ground though - it sends them a message for next time.

Taxboy and DonS like this.