1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers i think this is my favourite shot from the wedding!

Discussion in 'Wedding Images Forum' started by GinaAnderson, Nov 30, 2017.

1. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    First attempt at rim lighting and LOVE it!
    TJ_112817_mg_3581.jpg

gaelldew likes this.
  2. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Really nice Gina, they should love that.

3. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As I stated in your other image you are uploading your images too low in quality .... this is only 42kb .. try again between 200-240kb should look better then .... the image size (1020px x 640px ) is fine.

paul

4. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lovely shot but I would probably crop to 1:1 and centralise them in the frame, it's not a subject for an off centre composition IMO.

steve b likes this.
  5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree that a square crop would suite this.
    Did you sort out your colour saturation problem out in PS ?

6. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lovely shot, and they should be pleased. I would also agree with the square crop for something like this.

7. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is nice. I agree about the crop. I'd also photoshop out that post in the background if it were me.

8. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That works! Lovely shot.

To make it perfect possibly a little more exposure but not much ... sort of 1/3rd of a stop.

There's a mark off his jacket which I feel should be cloned out.

9. ImSoQuazy

ImSoQuazy Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very well done!
    Was this a difficult set up?
    Share?

10. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree here.

11. Isac

Isac Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Square crop is a great idea as mentioned above and I also think portrait is also good and bring it in nice and tight. Adding a matte board to present to your clients also may be of benefit, using colours from within the image. Just my take on it. I hope you don't mind.
    Gina-rim-light-wedding-framed-PT.jpg

GinaAnderson and Snips like this.
  12. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey, thanks for the pointers everyone. As it was my first wedding I did it FOC and as such I am only giving them a link to download the processed pics (about 170 of them) - not providing any prints etc. So I thought it best to crop them all to 2x3 (or 3x2), as they will be getting their own prints/album etc.

Still, for my own satisfaction, I will do some more work on this one. Hadn't spotted the lamppost or the mark on his jacket! Will do some more work on it and I think I will include it in my 5 images for the 7th assignment of my Diploma from the Institute of Photography. The module is on lighting and I have chosen portraiture as my theme. Should work well :) now to shoot 4 more portraits with different types of lighting..... :eek:

13. gaelldew

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Gina, I've just had another look with my reading glasses on, there is another mark on the right hand side, look like a bit like dust spots.

14. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So... I found another shot from that pose, what do you think of these edits?
    _MG_3582.jpg _MG_3582b.jpg

15. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    WOAHHH. Why do they look so noisy when compressed?! the top one looks positively frightening!

16. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You have massacred them in compression. You are allowed a max file size of 244kb and these are 37kb. use the highest compression figure that just gets the image below the max size. With an image with as much dead space as these you ought to be able to use a really high compression figure of 90 or so.

On a more subjective note, I am a big fan of negative space but it doesn't work here. Using a higher up af point rather than the central one or focus and recompose would have worked better here as the top just isn't adding anything.

17. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What's the best way to resize to 244kb? I am a PS user. (not needed to compress files before!)

18. gaelldew

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  19. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Save For Web is the best way to compress for website's.

Also your problem will not be solved by using Adobe rgb if, as you stated, it only happens when exporting jpegs.

20. Isac

Isac Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Save for Web in PS is great for shrinking images for web as oldgeezer mentioned and I use it on a daily basis. My original (Canon) image size is 3456 x 2304 pixels at 72 PPI. Not huge but perfect for printing onto A4 or less.
    Here's a screen snap of the settings I use to shrink images for forums and my web site.
    1: Set the dimensions in pixels to the desired size (Sample is 1024 px).
    2: Reduce the Quality until the desired file size is achieved (Sample is 96%, keeping it under 244kb)
    SFW Settings-SM.jpg

gaelldew likes this.