• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Identification needed please. Are these Carpenter Bees?

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have rather a large amount of bees that look like they're nesting in an old Eucalyptus tree stump. From what I've found online it looks like they might be Carpenter Bees. Can anyone confirm this please?
If so, are they a pest? Can they cause any damage, as the tree stump is very large and quite close to my house?

4a.jpg
3a.jpg
2a.jpg
1a.jpg

Last edited:

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
PS. I shot pics with zoom lens from about 6 feet away. Didn't want to risk macro and getting stung. :(

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Carpenter bee
buzz2.jpg

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Could be any number of bees but I have a feeling it is a mason bee and possibly a male Red Mason Bee. Also I suspect you would really have to hurt it before it stung you as they tend to be very shy and non agressive.

EDIT: IF it is a mason bee, they are solitary bees so won't be invasive or cause damage. They like to find a mate and a burrow usually in pre existing holes in brickwork or wood and proceed to do as nature intends. They are a great addition to a garden and take well to bee hotels if you are not happy about them being in your walls although they won't hurt anything if they are.

Last edited:

old silverback

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I agree, they seem to belong to some species of the family Megachilidae, which comprises mason bees. Carpenter bees (Xilocopa) , are bulkier as far as I know.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Could be any number of bees but I have a feeling it is a mason bee and possibly a male Red Mason Bee. Also I suspect you would really have to hurt it before it stung you as they tend to be very shy and non agressive.

EDIT: IF it is a mason bee, they are solitary bees so won't be invasive or cause damage. They like to find a mate and a burrow usually in pre existing holes in brickwork or wood and proceed to do as nature intends. They are a great addition to a garden and take well to bee hotels if you are not happy about them being in your walls although they won't hurt anything if they are.
A mason bee? Shouldn't they be in a lodge? :grin:
So you don't think they're carpenter bees? And I thought I'd nailed it this time. :doh:

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I agree, they seem to belong to some species of the family Megachilidae, which comprises mason bees. Carpenter bees (Xilocopa) , are bulkier as far as I know.
So they are all pretty much the same as each other. As long as they don't sting me I'll leave them alone.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks all, for your help. I was rather hoping they were carpenter bees, as I don't know one bee from the next and might have got it right for a change. :crying-2:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks all, for your help. I was rather hoping they were carpenter bees, as I don't know one bee from the next and might have got it right for a change. :crying-2:
There are hundreds of species out there Kayak and many can only be identified positively with a post mortem as it would require a microscope. As for them stinging you I can only attest to my own personal experience but I have gotten right in the face of pretty much any insect I can over the years. The only ones that have ever really put me on edge are hornets.
As with most insects just don't touch them or prod them with sticks and you should be fine, maybe... ;)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Kayak,

Yes, they are mason bees though hard to pin down the exact species. The males have no stinger so you are quite safe from them. The females, they will only sting if trapped and even then it is quite rare. Really is nothing to be worried about. In fact you should be happy they are there, People often buy bee hotels for these, you can even buy larvae online so you can populate your gaff. They are great pollinators so gardeners love them, especially owners of fruit bearing plants.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There are hundreds of species out there Kayak and many can only be identified positively with a post mortem as it would require a microscope. As for them stinging you I can only attest to my own personal experience but I have gotten right in the face of pretty much any insect I can over the years. The only ones that have ever really put me on edge are hornets.
As with most insects just don't touch them or prod them with sticks and you should be fine, maybe... ;)
It's the MAYBE that's making me hold back. There isn't many round the stump today, could be because it's not as sunny. I might chance it later with the macro lens.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Kayak,

Yes, they are mason bees though hard to pin down the exact species. The males have no stinger so you are quite safe from them. The females, they will only sting if trapped and even then it is quite rare. Really is nothing to be worried about. In fact you should be happy they are there, People often buy bee hotels for these, you can even buy larvae online so you can populate your gaff. They are great pollinators so gardeners love them, especially owners of fruit bearing plants.
OK, I will get some close up shots, if possible.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well, I tried with the macro lens but I still didn't get in too close. I was in a bit of a panic, and wearing an orange T shirt probably didn't help.
Pics are pretty much the same as the first lot.

DSC_3865a.jpg
DSC_3847a.jpg
DSC_3832a.jpg

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done. Keep at it and you will get more confident with them. Most insects are not aggressive. I’ve even had hornets drinking nectar on my hands. It is only when their nests are threatened or they are trapped they will sting. One thing to never do if you are stung is to swipe at wasps and hornets as they then release a hormone which sets off the rest. These bees however are not like that and as I said, the males have no sting. If you get too close and they feel uncomfortable they will rear up and wave their front legs at you. Watch for those signs and you will be fine

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice job getting closer Kayak, as Phil says it gets easier as you get to know their behaviours and habits. Most insects(and animals in general) tend to flee rather than confront danger. Gotta think if you were standing next to Godzilla would you walk up and kick it if it got too close?

My only problem is some of the bumblebees I come across look so cute you just want to hug them, and squeeze them and call them George. While I might posses the right level of stupid to try it I'm just not that brave. ;)

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I still jump back pretty quick when they fly around my head. There might be several types in the one old stump. I saw 2 of them carry something green into the holes. So, maybe leafcutter bees in there too. I'll keep an eye out for those.
Thanks to all for your help. If I get any shots worth showing, I'll post them.
Stay safe. Now wash your hands please. :grin:

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You'd have to be very unlucky or doing something really stupid to get stung by a bee. Wasps on the other hand . . .

Anyway, if you want one to stay still long enough to get close with a macro lens, just put some sugar water on the plant that it's on and it will stop for a couple of minutes while it drinks some.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
. Wasps on the other hand . . .
which particular wasps? There are thousands of species many of which are incapable of stinging humans. They are a wonderful groups of insects and absolutely fascinating. What you are probably talking about are the yellow and black striped varieties, of which only a couple of species are ones we see. Most of the season you are very unlikely to get stung by these, unless you trap them or attack their nest. They can become a little aggressive towards the end of the season when they become a bit dopey due to change of diet and the fact they are not long for this world, Rest of the year they can be very good photographic subjects, even on the hand if you feed them. The only time I have ever been stung is in my sleep when I rolled onto one.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
which particular wasps?
No particular one that I know of, so probably just the ones you mentioned. I've been stung quite a few times by them and mostly for no good reason other than me being there. Although on one occasion it was because the stupid bint I was dating at the time wouldn't stop trying to bash it - it stung me instead of her.

The only good thing is that a wasp sting isn't that painful, it's just irritating - horseflies are a lot worse.

One thing to avoid is a scorpion - now they really hurt and I had to go to hospital for treatment. :oops:

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I’ll tell you what does scare me, blooming cows. Just had a herd charge at me. I did the turn and face them thing and most stopped but one of the buggers started head butting me. Then the young bull started pushing through the herd. By then I had just managed to reach the kissing gat. I took the long way round instead

Shootr

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I’ll tell you what does scare me, blooming cows. Just had a herd charge at me. I did the turn and face them thing and most stopped but one of the buggers started head butting me. Then the young bull started pushing through the herd. By then I had just managed to reach the kissing gat. I took the long way round instead
Cattle can be VERY dangerous. Most of the time they are not. But watch any rodeo bull riding. Those are not friendly bulls. If you don't know a given herd it is always best to avoid them. Cattle can sense fear. Even if you do a bluff charge at them they may sense you are scared. I grew up around cattle. You really need to know how to read them. If you don't know how don't put yourself in a situation where you can't control the outcome. Even in a herd used to people you can find a single cow that is aggressive. Trust me, I know. I was charged by a cow when I was maybe 5. I never saw my dad move so fast to cut it off. That scared the cow. Not all will be scared. Think bull fights.

Oh and those are not carpenter bees. Carpenter bees do not sting BTW. I don't know what the ones here are.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks to all for your comments. I've been watching the bees in the tree stump and now there are quite of lot of bees carrying leaves into the holes. Think I saw a few wasps hanging around too. Everything is more active on sunny days.