• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

IKOFLEX II lever focus,105 cm 4.5 Triotar, coated?

anthony marsh

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
I have purchased an early IKOFLEX II with 75 cm 3.5 TRIOTAR that has what appears to be coating however the serial number 2020836 dates it to 1937. The color looks like an oil slick is this normal?

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
This is "Bloom" on glass, oxidation of the surface. I have a lot of Zeiss lenses from era. Oxidation of glass is the "original, natural" coating on glass that optical engineers sought to replicate.

Clean the surface carefully- you want to preserve the Bloom. Nature's way of coating optics.

My 1934 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 has a beautiful Bloom on the optics. It acts like a natural coating for transmission. Somehow- the colors are just deeper than those from an artificially coated lens.

Warm November day by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

One more from an Uncoated Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 that I converted to Leica mount for my Friend, wide-open on the Leica M Monochrom.

Sonnar 5cm F2 201x, Test by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Again, a beautiful bloom on this lens. Plenty of contrast. Again- much more than a NEW uncoated lens would give.

Last edited:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
L1022364.jpg

My Contax Mount 8.5cm F4 Triotar was made about the same time as yours, SN2019xxx. Uncoated glass, beautiful bloom on it. Adapter to my Leica using an RF coupled Contax to Leica adapter.