1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Image storing

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Merlinonline, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Merlinonline

Merlinonline Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I'm finding that the amount of photos I am taking on a trip out can reach 180 -200 odd depending, I do obviously have a cull on what I take but that accounts for only a handful.

I'm going to run out of physical computer storage space if I go on like this, limited to what I can post online, Facebook doesn't like large files. I have just gone over to the new timeline so don't know if its a glitch with the new site format? (maybe it doesn't like Firefox?)

Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the nice weather and was up at London Luton Airport, I was speaking to someone else up there, about the old days when I used to take my film camera up there and how you were limited to taking whatever was left on the roll of film, so you used to think more carefully about what you were shooting (price of film + developing was prohibitive back in the 90's).

Now I go out and often have ideas about what I'm looking for, some sites turn out to be a disappointment and others live up to expectations so my image library is going need careful management. actually editing 200 photos can take all evening so reducing the file sizes will take even longer.

I do have redbubble, 500px and flickr accounts the latter two just deciding which to pay for.

Does anyone know of software that will reduce the size of Images in batches?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. carlb40

carlb40 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    You could use the framing script on here, create an action within photoshop if you have it?
    Or use this for batch resizing

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Although you will still want to back up and store the originals somewhere :ok:

3. FlashBangWallop

FlashBangWallop Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Photoshop does batch re-size

4. borofan

borofan Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    There are several (eg Faststone) but aren't you worried about losing detail?

5. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
  6. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Surely you will want to save the originals in their full size as well though? So you should look at getting an external hard drive maybe? Thats what I have just done - and now freed up loads of space! :)

7. Merlinonline

Merlinonline Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I haven't got Photoshop, been using PhotoImpact 8 which I have had for a few years, have been trying out Picasa this week but both are not going to come anywhere near PS. One thing I have noticed with PhotoImpact trying to reduce and image to post on here is hard as the file sizes and image sizes quoted on site are entirely different (not a site fault I would add just the software).

An External drive is a good idea till you speak to people with them already, I was speaking to someone last year and you could hear them sucking air through their teeth! upshot was if you get a 1TB external drive then you might as well get get a duel one incase it fails... think I will be burning onto a CD probably.

But at the end of the day what good is photos on a CD drive? bit like in the distance past when toggers had crates of slides that never saw the light of day, I often get comments bty people on Facebook they like looking at what I have got on there (currently 71 albums), mentioning FB its allowed me to upload normally tonight so wondering if its something on the web as Flickr was playing up so I hear?

8. paulmag

paulmag Always on Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Merlinonline likes this.