1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

infinity focus calibration

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Randall8, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The infinity focus on my Samyang 12mm mft lens got messed up all of a sudden (is there a reason for this ?)

So basically there's no point where the image is in focus.

Has anybody had this issue before and was able to repair it by themselves at home ?

2. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Something is wrong here.

At 12mm focusing should be far from critical, at these super-wide angles things are generally pretty close to being in focus at any reasonable distance.

Does the focus ring rotate smoothly and to the full extent of its travel?

3. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a 12mm Samyang and no problems with it. Did it used to focus ok at infinity? If it suddenly has just started happening, I would send the lens for a service /repair - can it focus ok at say, one metre? Sometimes Samyang lenses are known to leave the factory with poor focus scale calibration.

4. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sure, it used to work perfectly fine for a year..
    I use it on my Panasonic GH5 (m43 sensor) so it's effectively 25mm.

The focusing ring turns smoothly, but when at the infinity focus mark, things are just not in focus...

And the 1year warranty is over by now..

Therefore I was wondering if it can be repaired at home.. if not, I'll be forced to send it for repair (which will most likely not be cheap)

5. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can you get infinity focus with manual focusing?

6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    if you are relying on the distance marks being accurate dont .............use eyeball mark 1 to verify plus at f8 on a lens that focal length its difficult to be out of focus infinity is a long way to focus .....atmospheric haze would be an issue.

can you focus on things you can see 10 100 or 1000 metres away OK

7. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think when I turn the focusing ring way to the maximum (past the infinity focus mark) things that are really far away (200-300m) are in focus.

8. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As I understand the conversation, the issue only occurs at the infinity mark where the image is not in focus, but objects at infinity will come into focus when the lens is turned beyond infinity. This issue is new to the lens.

Seems to me that you may have dropped the Samyang 12mm or gave it a good whack and a lens element or lens group is no longer properly aligned.

As you can still achieve focus the issue is not critical, however it may be worth it have a qualified repair shop evaluate and repair the lens.

9. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is one of them where without looking at the lens itself (and a comparison lens of the same type) I don't know if it's part of the design of the optics or it's damaged; if you want piece of mind go off to a repair shop and have it checked. However a modern AF lens (not one with the hard focus stops) will focus beyond infinity by design (and I think that's what you're describing here) and the close field of focus will disappear.

The other thing is, ignore "infinity" as infinity on a lens is variable (and hence why the infinity mark on some lenses is a parallel line to the mount not a singular mark). Where the focus of infinity will be shifts due to external conditions (like heat, haze, atmospherics, lens tolerances, filters, normal/IR cameras) and really it's not an accurate form of focussing. From a technical point of view, infinity is really the wrong word for it (as shooting on a hot day with haze, it could be in as close as say 15km; but on a clear moonless night it'll get stars that are billions of light years away) as it's more the area of maximum focus.

10. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Randall

I've also been lurking here reading the occasional posts too
    I agree with others that all modern lenses traverse beyond "supposed infinity" in order that the electronics can confirm actual focus

Q- does a photo of an object more than 50 metres away come into focus okay? ---do objects as close as 1-metre come into focus? ie: is the camera's focus mechanism working?

ps- via the 'rules of optics', a camera lens distance to infinity equals 1000 times the focal length ... so a 20mm lens has infinity at 20,000mm or 20-metres

Hope this helps
    Phil from the great land Downunder