• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Inheritance

burned428

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all,

My grandfather passed away recently. He lived an an incredibly full and impressively long life, over sixty years of which was spent as an amateur photographer. I recently acquired some of his equipment, and perhaps inherited a bit of a penchant for the art myself. Could any of you guys tell me whether his cameras are usable, especially for a novice, and whether or not they are worth servicing? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

20200203_195012.jpg

20200203_195018.jpg

20200203_195027.jpg

20200203_195033.jpg

20200203_195039.jpg

20200203_195111.jpg

20200203_195125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry I can't answer your question but we do have members on here that are very much into old cameras so someone should be able to help.
Paul

BriPriUK

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi
These are intersting cameras.
The Rolleicord with the Zeiss lens is a Rolleicord IIb from 1938-9, and the one with the Schneider lens is a Rolleicord V from around 1955. They may be working as they were reliable,and are worth around £80 - £100, so it would not be worth having them serviced unless you wanted to use them. They were advanced amateur cameras, highly regarded.
The Minolta is an excellent little camera with automatic exposure from the 1970s and would be a great camera to use. They sell for about £50 on Ebay, and may need a new button type battery, compatible ones are readily available, . CLICK HERE
I don't know anything about movie cameras except they are not worth very much and are extremely expensive to use.

HTH

Brian

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Take them to a camera store for an opinion about the serviceability and value. The Rolleicords seem to me to be the most valuable. Timeless in a sense.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
The movie cameras may be of interest to a student taking a film course. Both have "24 Frames Per Second" which is a feature that was desirable for film classes. The Sound movie camera can be used with standard silent cartridges, magnetically striped "Sound Super-8" is no longer made.

The Rolleicords use 120 film, shoots 2.25" by 2.25" negatives. They are well regarded cameras. 120 film is available, but you will probably have to order it. The Minolta uses common 35mm film.

anthony marsh

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Take them to a camera store for an opinion about the serviceability and value. The Rolleicords seem to me to be the most valuable. Timeless in a sense.
I would not take them to a camera store that might give a low value. They would of course consider what they could sell them for.

I would check prices on E-BAY,that would give you an indication of value.