• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Is it a bloke thing?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Today arrived a new torch from Banggood. It is huge for a torch, takes 4*18650 batteries and will blind anyone within a mile. The batteries are being shipped by ship so will not arrive for another three weeks. So last night I demolished some old laptop batteries to recover the 18650s they contained and now have 16. I slapped them on charge last night as I knew the torch was arriving this morning.

What is it with us blokes and gadgets like this. They seem to awaken the inner 5 year old in us. We buy all sorts of things from our cameras to those tiny remote control helicopters. Are we all mad or is it just me that buys toys?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I was sad at Christmas when the girls did not want toys anymore.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I love gadgets and toys!! I spend lots of time trying to think of other toys I don't need but would like to buy for the fun of it!

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
I have a house, loft, 4 sheds and a garage full of stuff I don't need. It's a great comfort knowing it's there tho. Yeah, it's a bloke thing!

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I would rather make something than just buy it.
I enjoy the actual process for than the end result.
This applies to photography especially, trying new stuff, as I get bored with just shooting
without a project. That's why I like shooting with flash, but only till I get what I was aiming for then
I go on to something else.
I never get pissed off with trying things and when it turns to trash i don't really care.

I do like a big shed though, but it is never quite big enough.....

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
I love lights. Any flashlight (torch) I could pick up, I did and I still have a closet full.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
I love gadgets too. I have lots of them. One that I couldn't resist was a light bulb that is also a bluetooth speaker.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Glad I am not the only one. I’m just hoping my home does not become too full when the kids move out.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
It's definitely something "bloke", I love my little tinker-things as well... I'm currently geeking out on something called a LattePanda, and also muttering whether to buy myself a couple of AS3935 boards for a bit of an idea I've got kicking around my head.

And I still can't walk past a set of Lego without wanting to build it or buy it.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I’ve a panda too, a couple of Pii and a roku. One of the Pii is about to become a magic mirror for one of my kids.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
When I was young, 6-12 yrs, I used to visit my Uncle and Aunt. My Uncle was like James May - a total gadget nerd. His garage was a like a treasure trove. He would buy some new mechanical bit of tat and rather than use it, first thing he would do would be to take it to bits to find out how it worked. He always got stuff back together OK. I used to love going to their house. The fascination with gadgets has stayed with my all my life - I blame my Uncle. :)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I’ve a panda too, a couple of Pii and a roku. One of the Pii is about to become a magic mirror for one of my kids.
The Pi are great as well; built a couple of things on them. I've not really looked at the Roku, as it's not something that has piqued the interest.

That Magic Mirror looks an interesting project, might have to look in to that a bit more to see if it's possible to build a doodah to access the "recommended pairings" module on the stock control system by scanning the product label with a barcode reader and bring up recommendations to articles that clients are trying on in the shops.

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
Yeah, seems to me that is about their limit for some of them. They never tire of chucking them out of their prams thoo_O