• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

It appears I will be in London in June

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
The girls decided to not go to any of their more expensive summer camps and we have a ton of travel points to use. Rumour has it that it is also my 15th Wedding anniversary so we are going on a trip.

I do not have details yet, other than it will be after June 12th and for a week. I do not know what area of the city we will be staying in yet.

I know London is expensive so I will be looking for any tips to keep some costs down.

Is there anything worth photographing? :)

balami

Always on
Premium Member
I'm in London Don, feel free to ask questions either before or during your stay.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
May be you could pop in and see my aunt and uncle, their names are Elizabeth and Philip and live in a big house somewhere down The Mall.
:grin:

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
If you can go to see the changing of the guard at Horseguards Parade Whitehall, London. Good photo opportunity but be prepared to jostle for position a bit

Haripaul

Always on
Premium Member
Go on a riverboat cruise from the Tower of London, well worth the money you see so much and there is usually someone who tells the history of the river and the sites you see.

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
May be you could pop in and see my aunt and uncle, their names are Elizabeth and Philip and live in a big house somewhere down The Mall.
:grin:
I thought Uncle Philip had moved out Paul and because he cant drive now he'd gone to live out in the countryside just to try and keep him off the roads.

Snips

Always on
+1 for the Oyster card.

The river (Thames) is a wonderful photographing opportunity but if I was to go as a tourist I wouldn't bother with a camera. I'd want memories instead.

London theatres are fantastic. A musical or play would be my choice but they're not cheap and you'd need to book now. Also book a table in a restaurant for afterwards. You'd remember this experience for years.

Museums and attractions are also good: Madame Tussauds is popular (get there at least 1/2 hour before it opens to save excessive queuing). British museum, war museum, science museum, all fascinating.

River cruise is a good shout - we've done two or three of those.

And cheaper ... Docklands Light Railway to see the modernised Canary Wharf.

And cheapest ... walking. Around Westminster (Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, etc) or Bond Street, Oxford Street and Piccadilly (shopping/shop displays) and there's Leadenhall Market in the City, the insurance capital of the UK with weird looking buildings.

Away from the West End and City (the centre of London) there's various other places like Campden Market, Paddington Basin, Brixton Market or if you want to go on a day trip, there are plenty of places only an hour or so away from London, like Windsor (Paul's uncle and aunt have a house here too), Oxford, Cambridge or Canterbury.

It would take a little more effort on travel arrangements, probably involving a coach trip, but one of my favourite and "true" England places is Bourton-on-the-Water. This is a village in the Cotswolds and is really pretty despite the hoards of people who visit. Plenty to see and do there as well and you'd definitely want a camera for here! I mention this place as apart from north England and Wales which are much more attractive in my opinion, you will see much of our countryside in your journey and begin to understand why we like it so much - it's a unique landscape especially once you're half an hour away from London.

Your only trouble with this trip is trying to fit it all in!

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
Keep your hand on your wallet especially when shopping Don, both for the ladies and pickpockets. What about a day at Windsor you guys from down there.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I forgot to update this. I will be arriving at Gatwick Saturday morning.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
I forgot to update this. I will be arriving at Gatwick Saturday morning.
Your set to sample some of the world famous British weather..... it’s been peeing it down for weeks now :)

Should cheer up soon though hopefully

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
@DonS bring rain coats!

1. The changing of the guard at Buckingham palace is must! Get there nice and early for a space near the front gate.
  2. Buckingham palace tour is amazing and cheap
  3. St James Park next to the Palace, had Princess Diana's memorial garden.
  4. London eye
  5. The Tower of London and Crown jewels ia a must and loads of photography opportunities!
  6. Thames river cruise
  7. Natural History Museum is free (book the Wild Life Photographer of the Year exhibition as well)
  8. Victoria and Albert museum is next to the Natural History museum and always has photography exhibitions.
  9. British Museum
  10. Trafalgar square
  11. Madame Tussauds
  12. St Pauls Cathedral for some evening city photography....Then to South Bank for dinner (walkable)
  13. The west end always has great shows and be bought at low prices from seller on the day.
  14. A day trip to Oxford is great and u can get a direct bus.
  15. Avoid Oxford street...it is a shoppers nightmare (if u don't like shopping)!
  16. Covent garden
  17. Leicester Square

Food:
Food is everywhere!
Soho has some great restaurants
Fish and chips
Scones with clotted cream and jam
Afternoon tea
Indian food - the English version is called Balti

Transportation:
For all of you probably, cheaper to book an airport pick up mini van taxi.
Use the Tube (subway), get the ''tubemap'' app to work out your routes. WiFi is free on the tube.

Suvenears:
Westminster Bridge has a lot of sellers. Great spot for evening city photography of the bridge and parliament. Do the London Eye and the walk across.

Useful Web Links:

https://expertphotography.com/photography-in-london/

https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/things-to-do-in-london/

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/london/travel-tips-and-articles/top-20-free-things-to-do-in-london/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d277d4a5

I will amend this post as I remember more.
Congratulations to the Toronto Raptors!

Last edited:

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Good tips by Mike above, but having been to Madame Tussauds a couple of weeks ago (first time in about 40 years for me), I'd avoid it unless you book in advance or find a voucher online.

I had a voucher for "pay for a child and adult goes free". The child ticket cost £30 !! At full prices, it really isn't worth it.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Good tips by Mike above, but having been to Madame Tussauds a couple of weeks ago (first time in about 40 years for me), I'd avoid it unless you book in advance or find a voucher online.

I had a voucher for "pay for a child and adult goes free". The child ticket cost £30 !! At full prices, it really isn't worth it.
The girls do not want to go anyway. If they want to see wax models they can watch Fox News :)