• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Just dropped my camera for the first time. Is it okay?

Cco61827

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Topic. I was outside taking some picture of the moon and when I walked into the house, the part of the tripod you screw the camera onto completely fell off the tripod and my camera with the lens still attached went crashing down onto the tile floor.

Thankfully I was quick enough to reach my leg out under the camera and break the fall a little bit, but I’m still a bit worried. (But ouch that camera hitting my leg hurt lol). Unfortunately it was my most expensive lens too, so I about had a heart attack. As far as I can tell, the only piece that broke was the little tiny place piece that goes on the little brackets where a strap would go. (can you buy replacements for those? They seem cheap enough)

I’m glad I always put my lens caps back on immediately the second I’m done taking pictures before I walk away. I played with the camera and the lens for a few minutes after I dropped it and it SEEMS fine, but is there anything I should look for or pay attention to to know for sure if everything is fine with both the camera and the lens? I have a Nikon D850 and a Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens.

Also, how durable are cameras and lenses typically? I’m sure it varies greatly based on the quality of the camera/lenses, but does anyone have any experience with these items and are they durable? Thanks so much in advance.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Fingers crossed it's okay - they're quite sturdy machines and if you broke its fall that should help.

Only way to know is to take some more photographs and see what happens.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
About seven years ago my 70-300L lens (£1,000+) rolled off a park bench onto concrete from about 18 inches. Luckily, I had the (Canon) hood fitted in the reverse position which took the main force of the impact. It cracked the hood (I still use it) and the lens hasn't missed a beat.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Topic. I was outside taking some picture of the moon and when I walked into the house, the part of the tripod you screw the camera onto completely fell off the tripod and my camera with the lens still attached went crashing down onto the tile floor.
The whole tripod head fell off?

Cco61827

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The whole tripod head fell off?
Not the ENTIRE head, but there’s a part that you can latch in and out of the tripod so that you don’t have to unscrew your camera every time you need to use your camera freely, and that’s the part that randomly came loose and made my camera fall. I was so mad.

Scratch

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Sounds like you mean the mounting plate.

gaelldew

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hope they are all ok bit of good advice there keep your lens hood on, dropped mine once from waist height and only split the hood.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ouch! They are pretty resilient things but that sounds like a bad one. My 850 was sat on a tripod on a mountain in Wales last year and got blown over. It landed hard enough to break just about every chassis member inside as it landed sideways on the lens and nearly ripped the lens mount off. It was written off by Nikon as the rear chassis cracked and it isn't a service replaceable part.

Use it and see if there are any issues especially with the lens VR as that is a very delicate mechanism. You could send them both to Nikon for a check if you want to be sure but it's likely to cost a couple of hundred quid to service both even if they dont need much in the way of spares.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not the ENTIRE head, but there’s a part that you can latch in and out of the tripod so that you don’t have to unscrew your camera every time you need to use your camera freely, and that’s the part that randomly came loose and made my camera fall. I was so mad.
Did it unscrew from the camera or come off the tripod? Neither should happen with decent equipment.

Scratch

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Sounds like the camera mounting plate wasn’t locked in to your tripod head and came out when you picked the whole thing up. Before you use it again check to make sure the plate locking mechanism is working properly.