• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Kodak Retina 117 Problems

vincent97

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hey there!

I'm having a problem with my Retina 117. It used to work perfectly but all of a sudden the film transportation got kinda stuck, precisely that little knob next to the big transport knob. It doesnt do full rotations anymore but instead just does a semi-rotation until it suddenly stops.
Ive already removed the top housing but there didnt seem to be anything that would avoid the knob from rotating completely.
I also dont know if it maybe has something to do with the R/A dial on the transport knob possibly being messed up or something. I dont really know how that mechanism works in general.

Do you guys and girls have any ideas what this might be? I can also provide photos if needed! :)

Regards Vincent from Germany

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No

That is the first Kodak Retina- older than my type 119. These cameras are 85 years old, and a clean-lube-adjust is usually long overdue.

I would like to see some pictures. BUT- it is hard to guess what is wrong without the camera sitting in front of you. I've replaced the shutter cocking rack on my Retina IIC follow Chris's notes. He knows more about Retina cameras than anyone else in the world.

vincent97

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No

That is the first Kodak Retina- older than my type 119. These cameras are 85 years old, and a clean-lube-adjust is usually long overdue.

I would like to see some pictures. BUT- it is hard to guess what is wrong without the camera sitting in front of you. I've replaced the shutter cocking rack on my Retina IIC follow Chris's notes. He knows more about Retina cameras than anyone else in the world.
Hey,
yes, I know! It actually accompanied my great-grandfather during his war service and has not been used until I tried it again about a year ago.
I actually was in contact with Chris and described my problem. He said that a spring in the take up spool might have broken because I might have rotated the winding knob while the dial was still in "A" position. However, I am gonna send my camera to a German repair service tomorrow and let them fix it along with some other minor problems.

Best regards
Vincent :)

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Please post some pictures once the camera is working again. Kodak Retina cameras match Leica for optics.

I was actually able to give Chris a usable tip for repairing Kodak Retina Reflex-S SLR's. The prisms are notorious for desilvering, leaving black spots in the finder. I found that the prism from the 1970s~1980s Minolta XG series cameras fit perfectly, and are brighter than the original. My Reflex-S has the brightest viewfinder of any I've used or seen.

vincent97

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Please post some pictures once the camera is working again. Kodak Retina cameras match Leica for optics.

I was actually able to give Chris a usable tip for repairing Kodak Retina Reflex-S SLR's. The prisms are notorious for desilvering, leaving black spots in the finder. I found that the prism from the 1970s~1980s Minolta XG series cameras fit perfectly, and are brighter than the original. My Reflex-S has the brightest viewfinder of any I've used or seen.
You mean like images that I took with it? I also have an instagram account (winston_photographs) where I upload those photos (dont know if Im allowed to advertise here :D)
But if you mean the camera itself, I guess that it will possibly look all fancy again but I havent got it back yet, maybe next week :)

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I always like to see pictures of the camera, and taken with the camera. I'll check out the Instagram account as well.

Look forward to seeing the camera 100% operational again.

I've posted links to my articles and images on other Photography related sites here, especially my repair threads on other sites.

vincent97

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
I always like to see pictures of the camera, and taken with the camera. I'll check out the Instagram account as well.

Look forward to seeing the camera 100% operational again.

I've posted links to my articles and images on other Photography related sites here, especially my repair threads on other sites.
Hey,
the camera just arrived here again and it works perfectly. They also repaired the longest shutter times of 1s and 1/2s and the frame counter and now the camera is working as perfectly as in 1934 again :)
I paid 128 Euros for the repair which is about 150 Dollar. Pretty expensive but the Retina is of such high personal value that it was definetely worth the costs :)

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Congratulations! Definitely the right path to take.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Hey,
the camera just arrived here again and it works perfectly. They also repaired the longest shutter times of 1s and 1/2s and the frame counter and now the camera is working as perfectly as in 1934 again :)
I paid 128 Euros for the repair which is about 150 Dollar. Pretty expensive but the Retina is of such high personal value that it was definetely worth the costs :)
That's a good price for the repair- and now you have an 86 year old camera that works like new. That's a good feeling.

Bear1967

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Vincent, just followed you on Instagram. Your pictures are excellent!

vincent97

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Vincent, just followed you on Instagram. Your pictures are excellent!
Oh thank you! Just saw your response on here now! Which one is your account?

Bear1967

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh thank you! Just saw your response on here now! Which one is your account?
@rowland_barry. Mine is the one with the red and white VW camper.