• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Konica TC-X, please help me get started on this!

Abogos

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi All,
I am new to the forum and I am not a photographer, I just joined the forum to get some information.
My dad would always carry his film camera (Konica TC-X) around and take photos. Well he is not with us anymore and I wish to continue using his camera when I visit locations. I know the cost of operating, developing, and printing a film is higher than a digital one but this is only going to be used on certain occasions and it has sentimental value so that’s fine.
I don’t know much about the specs of the camera and what film to buy and at what speed to take photos and all that. Can you all help me get started on this maybe by stating basic info needed and what film to buy?
His camera bag includes 3 lenses, one very short one, a long one, and another one in between. I can post pictures of the lenses if needed or look up specs on it.
Your input is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Konica TC-X is the last of the Konica cameras produced, and was not even made in the Konica factories. It's production was farmed out to Cosina, who produced a whole line of cameras which were branded with top makers' names.

OK, so it's a fully manual, DX coded 35mm SLR with an all plastic body. DX coded means that you can buy most any film brand available, and the ISO rating should work in that camera without changing a thing. All manual means that you will need to do all the other settings manually. The light meter will only guide you.

Abogos

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Konica TC-X is the last of the Konica cameras produced, and was not even made in the Konica factories. It's production was farmed out to Cosina, who produced a whole line of cameras which were branded with top makers' names.

OK, so it's a fully manual, DX coded 35mm SLR with an all plastic body. DX coded means that you can buy most any film brand available, and the ISO rating should work in that camera without changing a thing. All manual means that you will need to do all the other settings manually. The light meter will only guide you.
Thanks, I will get the manual and see how I can operate it in different environmental conditions. Is there a recommended film to use?

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

Film-wise ...... pop into your local camera shop and see about a "Colour print film of 100-ISO". The shop person will call is a colour-negative film, and the negative is later printed which is what you look at once back home

As to the 3 lenses described above - can you look at the numbers on the front and let us know what they are??
We're looking for the bits that look like this ...
Phil
lens info.jpg

Abogos

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

Film-wise ...... pop into your local camera shop and see about a "Colour print film of 100-ISO". The shop person will call is a colour-negative film, and the negative is later printed which is what you look at once back home

As to the 3 lenses described above - can you look at the numbers on the front and let us know what they are??
We're looking for the bits that look like this ...
Phil
View attachment 321185
Thanks, appreciate it.
There is one 28mm
Another one is 50mm
Another one 80-200 mm

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks, appreciate it.
There is one 28mm ~ Another one is 50mm ~ Another one 80-200 mm
Excellent :)

The 50mm lens was supplied as it creates an image closely resembling life-size / as seen by the eye
The 28mm is called a wide-angle and sees 2x the viewing angle of the 50mm ... but everything is a bit smaller when squeezed into the same bit of film
The 80 - 200mm zoom is used for bringing stuff "closer" ie- larger in the frame

Which lens you end up using most will come from your "artistic eye" ... many people like to do pics with lots of stuff in the frame ... others like to get in close and just show a small bit of stuff in the frame

I suggest that you play with each -with no film in the camera- and just see how each settles into your visual likes / dis-likes and once you are a bit happier with swapping lenses, ............................ go for it !!!

Hope this helps
Phil

Abogos

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent :)

The 50mm lens was supplied as it creates an image closely resembling life-size / as seen by the eye
The 28mm is called a wide-angle and sees 2x the viewing angle of the 50mm ... but everything is a bit smaller when squeezed into the same bit of film
The 80 - 200mm zoom is used for bringing stuff "closer" ie- larger in the frame

Which lens you end up using most will come from your "artistic eye" ... many people like to do pics with lots of stuff in the frame ... others like to get in close and just show a small bit of stuff in the frame

I suggest that you play with each -with no film in the camera- and just see how each settles into your visual likes / dis-likes and once you are a bit happier with swapping lenses, ............................ go for it !!!

Hope this helps
Phil
This is great info, thanks very much. Now I know which lens to use for different things. How about lighting when I take photos? Is that something I need to adjust for?
by the way, there is a National PE-201A flash in the bag as well. Looks like it is battery operated, I can just mount on top of the camera and it should function.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

Don't know that type of flash ---- maybe it'll be one of those "try and see how it goes" things

Phil

Abogos

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

Don't know that type of flash ---- maybe it'll be one of those "try and see how it goes" things

Phil
Thanks for your input, this will definitely get me started with taking photos with this camera. I will need to figure out the film development as well. Do you have any experience with the Kodak mobile film scanner?

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for your input, ..... Do you have any experience with the Kodak mobile film scanner?
No matey - many years of D&P in the darkroom, mono & colour slide - but not that scanner
Phil