1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Landscape photogrphy

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by saurabh01, Jun 19, 2017.

1. saurabh01

saurabh01 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Folks,

We always discuss on the shots and get the comments and suggestion. But today I would like to know your thoughts on landscape photography.

Let me first write my thoughts:
    I had interest in photography and doing with point and shoot camera but bought my first DSLR three years back. Initially I thought landscape is the most easy genre in photography but once start exploring the nature , I found, it’s most difficult ( I am not criticizing any other genre) genre is landscape. I started to look online sites to to see people work(flickr and 500px) but very disappointment, as everywhere most of the people trying HDR or a bit same type of work. Along with, very few forum exists where you can discuss about photography. I don’t like Facebook as discussion board. Initially whenever I think on landscape, only few ideas came, go some monument or sunrise or long exposure to water. But now with my little experience I realized beauty is everywhere and I have explore it differently.

2. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not really sure what you're asking here. The same can be said about all genres. I'm a more natural shooter, get as much right in camera. I feel if you see a landscape that makes you stop enough to go wow, set up your gear and take a shot, your image should also have that same sensation on its viewers. I have no problem going back to that same spot day after day and constantly improve on that shot. Better lighting, sky, clouds, fog, colors etc.

saurabh01 likes this.
  3. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Speaking of HDR ....landscape...etc and how you are avoiding the HDR aspect.
    I started out in photography with the interest in HDR. (many have different views in this; as some prefer the "not so surreal")
    I found in HDR that i was attempting to create a sense of imagination or creativity. I chose local spots to photograph and created such shots that "no one ever knew existed" (as in the location.) when they were right in front of our "faces" all along. I also wanted the "viewer" to believe they "wanted" to see that location in "real life." But i depended on the editing pf HDR.
    This was many years ago the only thing i wanted to know about the camera was "how to put it in Auto."

Now...

That creativity....imagination...in my mind's eye tells me to use nature...nature's light..the ability of the camera...Much like Kevin said.

As of now...i am still in the "beginner" stage of learning. Training my "mind" muscles ...to know what to do/not to do...what works/won't work.

Landscape? If i were to approach it...first for me is using what kind of light is given. What kind of mood is it...What is it telling me...What kind of story is this...

I'm almost learning something new every week now...My aspiration is to get great BIF photos...And it's not going to come overnight.
    I have to overcome the basics.....learn "how to" in every circumstance...lighting...etc.
    And THEN i have to tell the story. That is going to be the bigger challenge for me. (How to get eye level with hawks...Eagles...etc.)

My advice sounds ....kind of? Telling the story.....But if you see a trail going off into the forest with snow capped mountains in the background...
    The idea is to get the viewer "right there" in the moment...like they are on that trail...and going to attempt to climb that mountain in the distance....using depth of field to your advantage...wide angle lenses...etc etc..

At least that's my take on landscape.

Am i there with telling a story in any of my photos of BIF? Not even close. But i will get there.

saurabh01 likes this.
  4. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    With strictly landscapes in mind, there are many ways of capturing a "landscape". Some think grand vistas from the top of a mountain, some think a flowing waterfall, and some think along the lines of a pastoral farmland. These are all landscapes, in that they capture the beauty of our great lands. Here in Ontario many are of the mind that they could go out and capture the scenes that the Group Of Seven painted in the early 20s and 30s here in the wilderness. Trying to capture an artist's depiction of a scene requires some serious playing with being there at the right time and capturing the exact light that they saw when they were at that point, and then using HDR, or pixel bending, or whatever techniques you can think of to make it seem that surreal. Me? I prefer to go out and capture what I see with my eyes and it still takes some tweaking for the computer in the camera to recognise what my eyes saw.

DonS, MikeB and saurabh01 like this.
  5. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Landscape is about one of the hardest genres there is; compared to a lot of other photography there is very limited control over the subject or the things surrounding the subject. Within landscape itself there are so many sub-genres that I couldn't start to list them, and a lot of these really do require different techniques and that's before bringing speciality things in to it (like IR, astro/meteorological phenomenon).

Things like HDR and that, it all depends as it's all what you want out of the image at the end of the day; but what I go for with that end of the spectrum is doing what I can do on the camera because it's a lot better result later down the line... But in that there are a lot of things that can be done with a modern camera that people can (and generally do) overlook and would call it cheating if done on a computer; that's given me food for thought as I think the only two things I can't do with my cameras (to one form or another) are cloning things like birds and dust spots out or localised sharpening/noise reduction. Other things with editing on a landscape image, and I've found this a fair few times, is that because the landscapes and things that happen in the landscape are tricky things to work with or sometimes so surprisingly different that sometimes there is a need to tone the images down some as whilst the eye will see one thing and recognise it as right, translating that to an image on a screen or in print could look seriously wrong to an end point viewer if they've not encountered it. That's the biggest juggling act I've found with it is to balance it between the point of capture and what a viewer would find believable when done.

Roger S and DonS like this.
  6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Photograph what you like and process it to emphasize what you found interesting in a scene. Our eyes and minds are far more versatile than any camera or lens which do a poor job of capturing what we experience. Cameras do not have the dynamic range we have and when we view a scene we will adjust our dynamic range to suit our interests. Whereas the camera is stuck with a single, limited dynamic range for each exposure - not so our eyes and minds. When we look into the shadows or highlights, our eyes adjust to better see the detail so that what we experience is akin to having high dynamic range. What the camera can capture in one frame is significantly less. Even cameras with great dynamic range are still stuck with very little data available for the shadows, so while they may be lifted they will not have the detail that we experienced viewing the scene. Also, cameras are not able to capture the full range colors or tones we see, we have simply gotten use to accepting their limitations.

All the camera can do is capture something that represents what we experience and often that is good enough. Skill and artistry come into play when we maximize the capabilities of the equipment and software to create an image that tells a story or resonates with the viewer.

Roger S likes this.
  7. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    landscape covers a wide range of sub genres itself ( for want of a better phrase ), landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes, lakes and rivers, mountains, rolling hills and meadows, waterfalls, pretty much anything outside.
    the limitiations are down to the photographer no one else. shoot in portrait mode. shoot ultrawide angle, shoot with a zoom lens. with or without pseudo HDR ( photomatix tone mapping which isn't HDR ) , bracketed shots to give better control over dynamic range, sunsets, sunrises, even middle of the day. spring, summer, winter, autumn, near objects with blurred distance as focus point of wide expansive view showing everything back to front in focus.
    really the biggest element for me when shooting landscapes is light.. shadows and highlights, light and shade, be it sunlight, moonlight, snow and ice, water or mist. colour or black and white ( personally I love black and white landscapes with deep contrasting areas of light and dark ). what you choose to shoot is up to you and how you shoot it too. if you get the light right your 90% there. everything else is a bonus.. get it wrong and no matter how good the scene it will still be just an average scene.