• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Last Friday before Christmas go shopping now Dec 21 Chatter

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
This is it, the supposed busiest shopping day before Christmas. According to the news here this morning 2 PM is supposed to be the busiest hour of shopping.

I used to work retail (at Radio Shack Canada) in the early 1990s before online shopping. It was usually the 20, 21, or 22 that were our busiest days. I would work open to close no matter what my shift actually was because there was commission to be made. Christmas Eve you would not believe the amount of batteries we sold. We would have people with lists come in to get all the batteries they needed for all their toys. It was very tiring. By Christmas I was looking forward to the two day break (stores were closed on Boxing Day here at the time, now they are not even though it is an official "statutory" holiday).

I doubt there will be much photographic for me this weekend except for printing my daughter's school photos to give to their grand parents. At least the new Pixma-Pro 100 will get a good test.

What are you up to this weekend?

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
Well, I was out doing my Xmas shopping today and it was pretty carnage. That said, I knew what I was after and just went straight at it. Bish, bash, bosh job done. The rest of the world is now welcome to Mad Friday.

I'm gonna make a spagbol for tea and take it easy.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
I'm done my Xmas shopping as of yesterday. I don't even want to go near the malls today.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
well I am about to head off to my emergency dentist appointment after last night losing my entire filled tooth while eating. Argh.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Well I am off braving London tomorrow, only really 3 shops we definitely want to go to, but expect the list to grow when we get there. Will take the cam to relieve any boredom :)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Just been on a road trip with work, doing a photoshoot in the city; got a nice little Christmas hamper full of chocolates and cake today... Always nice and very much unexpected.

Weekend wise, tonight it's Christmas party with the group from the office, then I've five hundred or so photos to ignore for the weekend and also I've got to try and ignore a monumental mess. The manual for the stock systems at work explicitly states that you do not extend classes and replace functions (extending classes and adding new functions is ok, but replacing core functions... Not). Today, two modules were installed, both fail when both are turned on, and the devs (completely unrelated to each other) have both extended the same class, overridden a core function and it's the same core function in both. Now I've got to work out a way to rig it so that both modules are useable until after New Year until I get chance to put boots up their backsides.

Ogofmole

Always on
We ventured into town today, very busy but managed to grab a parking space by luck while others were queuing up. We will now spend the run up to Christmas at home relaxing.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Parkrun tomorrow morning, then a relaxed weekend. All shopping done and presents wrapped. We are ready.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
We went to the German christmas market in Birmingham yesterday. Love the atmosphere there even though we have been there many times. Just wish we had snow. It would have been more festive then.

Snips

Always on
Went on Wednesday to include haircut. Then Thursday to do final food shop.

Me all finished. Not. Thought I'd done everything.

Out yesterday to buy Christmas tree and horse food and hood for horse and oil for horse hooves and ...

Working all weekend (love my job though so it doesn't feel like work) and will try to stop at lunchtime on Monday

Lindsay Pennell

Premium Member
Just been on a road trip with work, doing a photoshoot in the city; got a nice little Christmas hamper full of chocolates and cake today... Always nice and very much unexpected.

Weekend wise, tonight it's Christmas party with the group from the office, then I've five hundred or so photos to ignore for the weekend and also I've got to try and ignore a monumental mess. The manual for the stock systems at work explicitly states that you do not extend classes and replace functions (extending classes and adding new functions is ok, but replacing core functions... Not). Today, two modules were installed, both fail when both are turned on, and the devs (completely unrelated to each other) have both extended the same class, overridden a core function and it's the same core function in both. Now I've got to work out a way to rig it so that both modules are useable until after New Year until I get chance to put boots up their backsides.
I don't want to hijack the thread but...Sean, you know there are ways to avoid this software problem with config management and scripts to do a build and automated test to detect clashes before putting the software live, right? In fact how come the software wasn't built and integrated and tested before being put live? etc. (I'm a software test manager for many many years so can't ignore stuff like this).

Anyway, try and enjoy your Christmas.

I've avoided the shops entirely, but that is sadly due to not having any family to buy for, just a wife whose presents I bought online weeks ago. We are hunkering down for a few days now except for maybe I'll sneak out with camera gear early mornings...

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I don't want to hijack the thread but...Sean, you know there are ways to avoid this software problem with config management and scripts to do a build and automated test to detect clashes before putting the software live, right? In fact how come the software wasn't built and integrated and tested before being put live? etc. (I'm a software test manager for many many years so can't ignore stuff like this).
I don't ignore stuff like this either, but all what I've got on my plate now is stuff I inherited from the person who was in charge of the systems before and things that were under his watch are still biting me in the behind. I'm still new to the company, and there's still a lot of things that were thrown together piecemeal (small, slowly expanding company coupled with a person who only seemed to care to what was paid in to the bank at the end of the month) which still need improving but it'll get there.

Lindsay Pennell

Premium Member
In that case Sean, my sympathies - been in exactly that position myself a couple of times. Good luck with it.

Yesterday I did the opposite of shopping for Christmas - I sold one of my ham radio transceivers to a guy, and drove half way across the country to deliver it so he would have it for the holidays. It was a nice drive in the sense that I enjoy my car (LR Discovery), a couple of hours to get there, all very good. Unfortunately coming back, I got stuck in a jam for an hour, caused by the unannounced closure of the motorway in the critical section where it meets two other primary routes, so I ended up going right round the houses to get home, return journey taking 3.5 hours.
I won't be driving anywhere else before this festival is over!!!

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
In that case Sean, my sympathies - been in exactly that position myself a couple of times. Good luck with it.
It'll get there, as I inherited a few good people, a coffee machine and the outsourcing contracts are due in the next six months. It's not easy, but at the same time with the company being a small, family orientated business and it's a "happy" environment so instead of the "Ah, I'll leave this issue until next Monday" there's the "I don't mind doing another couple of hours to get it fixed this week".