• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens buying advice? :)

-Ky

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Okay so I have a Nikon D5600 currently with 18-55mm kit lens, I'm looking to buy a new lens and I have narrowed it down to either a second hand Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D prime Lens, or a
Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300mm f 4-5.6 zoom Lens.

I want to eventually get both however I'm broke af at the moment and both of these lenses are cheap second hand so I am able to afford at least one right now. I take a lot of nature photographs but I also like my street photography.

I'm going to an air show In a week so the zoom lens would be helpful In capturing the planes as they fly over - however it'll be very crowded so the 50 could be good for some street style photography.

The 50 seems like a good deal because the max aperture is brill so low light shots will help out however I'm sceptical as I've been told 35 primes are better.

The zoom seems great as it will help me capture subjects further away, however the max aperture isn't so great and i'm going to need a good amount of light every time I use it. I just can't decide!

I've been shooting for 5/6 years with a great little mirrorless and always stuck with the 20-55 kit lens as I could never afford anything different. Recently made the switch to Nikon and got my first DSLR which I've picked up and learned fairly quickly (It's not massively different tbh), but when It comes to lenses it's completely new territory for me!

Any help, advice or opinions would be brilliant - Thanks In advance! - Ky

Banjo Ryan

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My advice would be to get the 70-300 first as the 50mm is within the focal length of the lens you already have. This will give you chance to diversify your photography and it sounds like you'll have a good chance to use it at the air show.

I use my 70-200 the most, I love the way it presents perspective, and I really like picking out areas of interest and nice light.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Between the 18-55 kit lens, and the Nikkor 70-300, you'll have a good range for your street photography and nature shots. A 50 prime is jut too restricting as on a crop sensor, that equals a 35mm equivalent of around 75mm.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My advice is go for the 70-300 first. It gives you more range of choice for different aspects of photography

Dean M

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
unless your planning evening/ night shots the low light isn't going to be much of an issue and you can get equally good street shots with both your current 18-55 or with the zoom.
with the 50mm at 1.4 you'll have a hard job getting back to front focus with such a shallow dof so will end up most likely dialling in around f/4 anyway. certainly the 50mm would be better in low light but chances are shooting planes/ wildlife etc its going to be daytime anyway.
modern cameras can quite easily cope with isos around 1600-3200 without noise so again as long as theres enough light to be getting shutter speeds around the 1/600 sec for the planes then all should be fine.