• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens choice help and advice requested

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As title says I am looking to add to my lens, am looking at the:-

Sigma 50-500mm am hoping i could snap away with out the need to swap lens

Sigma 150-500mm would need to carry other lens to cover up to 150mm.

As the 150-500 is quite a bit cheaper it would leave money spare for a Prime lens, if I go this route what Prime would be a good starting point.

I have read some of the threads regarding these lens and am still undecided

The lens would be used on our Nikon D5100 and D3200.

Or I could swap the D3200 in for a D7200 but not sure if I would be gaining a lot as it is more my experience rather than camera that is lacking!!!

Thanks in advance,

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Are you looking to buy new or used ..... and what do you like (or what are you hoping )to photograph and what is your budget

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am looking at used, probably MPB Photography as have had a couple of lens and the D3200 from them and can't fault the products, service and how accurate their descriptions are.

I have about £650 /£750 possibly a bit more if I delay a few weeks!!

I love land/sea scapes but have that covered, going to try my hand at wildlife and just feel I want a longer range range lens, as for wanting a prime i fancy using one as a walkabout seeing what results I can achieve!!

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A 50-500 is a fair old lump to carry around all the time.
As asked, what are your main photographic interests?

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
with the 50-500 was hoping to use it for landscape, wildlife, possibly have a try at moonshots, and generally trying sport photography.

Going for a varied genre snapping approach as son comes out with me, and despite him enjoying it an 11yr old can still get bored!!

Kevin Fox

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'll be honest here. You will never be happy with the results with a zoom with that much range. One reason if you want to shoot at 50mm, the lens is still a 500mm monster. It's going to be tough to handle. The sharpness is lacking, just because of all that glass. If your serious about photography, I'd stick to a couple smaller zooms instead.

Agiledogs

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I had this same question many years ago and opted for the 150-500.....it was the WORST decision I ever made. The lens really has a lack of sharpness and its weight makes it quite unmanageable to go traipsing along for any serious wildlife shooting.

If you are looking to get into Birding you may want to pick up a 300mmf4 and a 1.4 to 1.7 tele-converter as you will produce much shaper images....the Nikkor 200-500 also produces very sharp wonderful images but again is not one for a "hiking lens"

I spend a lot of time hiking and for the best shots you may need to choose between the grand landscape or hoping to spot something interesting among the trees and rocks. You can also compromise with the 28-300 nikkor or tameron FX lens. Technically its not as sharp as a prime, but unless you are making really large prints, you might not even notice.

All the desert bloom shots I have posted are with the nikkor 28-300mm as are the sports photos of track events if you want some samples shot with that lens. The tammy offers diagonal image stability along with horizontal and vertical. Light fall off is a little more than the nikkor but my chief complaint was the location of the lens lock. I like the position better on the nikkor. Both lenses are also very easy to carry around and offer a great variety of shooting ranges.

For moon shots that 300 prime will need a good tripod. for wider starscapes I am looking potentially to pick up a tammy 15-30.

Oh and for sport photography...the specific sport, your access to vantage points and such will be more determining as tot he lens you need. For XC and tracka nd field I use the 28-300 generally in the 50-200mm range. For Canine lure coursing I use both a 300mm and 180mm prime lenses. For agility the 300mm, 180mm, and 85mm. For flyball (a relay race for dogs) 50mm or 85mm. As you can see a variety of options and the primes work much better and are more maneuverable than a huge heavy Zoom lke the 150-500 or the 150-500.....or even a 200-500.

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for that input Agiledogs, there was me thinking I had narrowed it down !! Looks like I have plenty of research still to do !!!

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Zoom lenses provide significant convenience over prime lenses. Prime lenses are better and typically less expensive but not convenient. The greater the focal range a lens has, the greater the convenience, however that convenience comes at the cost of image quality - this is why the best zoom lenses have smaller focal ranges, such as the 24-70mm or the 16-35mm.

You choose a lens based on the angle of view that you require, if it is a wide angle of view, such as landscapes, then you get a wide angle lens. If it is a narrow angle of view that you need, such as used for sports, then a telephoto or narrow angle of view is used. You don't identify what you are shooting. This is most important for choosing a prime lens, a little less important when choosing a zoom. If you are unsure, then get a 35mm (for a crop sensor) as it provides a perspective closest to how we see.

It is also useful knowing your budget.

If you want to "snap away with out the need to swap lens" then you should realy consider a camera with a smaller sensor. the smaller the sensor, the less expensive the lenses - even those that produce high quality images.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I had the sigma 150-500mm .... sold that and bought the 300mm f4 L prime and a canon 1.4x extender ( you may struggle to get these for your present budget, especially in excellent condition). .... had better results with that ...... now I have sold the 300 and 1.4x and bought the new sigma 150-600mm and am very happy with it ... I find it more versatile than the 300.
Now be careful if you go for the 50-500mm sigma, as it comes 2 forms, with and without image stability .... where the 150-500 definitely comes with IS.
Again with your budget after buying your zoom, you wont have much over for a prime lens ..... so i would suggest the nifty fifty Canon 50mm f1.8 .... best value prime lens on the market ... imo ..

paul

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Paul,

I was looking at the IS 50-500 , but if I go for the150-500 it would leave enough change for a 35mm 1.8 prime lens.

I think I will stick with Nikon !!, but nice attempt to convert me! [emoji5][emoji3]

Hmm maybe shouldn't mention the Nikon Canon debate!!

But Thank You for your input I think it's going towards the versatility of zoom over image quality of a prime.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If @Jenbenjen pops into here she will tell you about the 50-500 siggy, and show you some great images she has taken with it.

Paul

DaddyG

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If I stick with my original thoughts I am looking at these two lens

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Nikon Fit and the

Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM, Nikon Fit.

Both are optically stabalised with focus motor just unsure of APO?

Does the APO make the optics in this lens any better?

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes APO should help reduce chromatic aberrations ...