1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens Hood

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Steve7500, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Steve7500

Steve7500 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can somebody please let me know what the Lens Hoods are for? I'm planning on eventually get one primarily for cosmetics. I find they make the lenses look better than without. I may get a Tulip one.

Of course I'd probably need to get one while traveling unless a local store can special order one for me. Other than that, getting one in Edmonton, Alberta may be my best bet and I go maybe twice a year or so (will give me plenty of time to decide to get one).

I'm also curious, because I may want to leave my hood on at all times so I'm curious if they're threaded so you can use a filter simultaneously with a lens. If not, it's not huge deal because I don't imagine myself constantly using a filter, most likely just once in awhile.

One more question:

Would buying a Lens Hood be worth it?

I'd probably get a reasonably priced one. Unless somebody can give me an estimate of how much they cost, I could probably look it up, too. Of course I won't want a cheap one that'll just crack.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes.

I’d say they are important bits of kit. They help reduce flare on shots and provide protection for the lens. There’s many a time that the lens hood has saved me from an expensive repair. The only reason I can see not to have one is if you use a slot-in filter system all the time.

3. Geeman

Geeman Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Agree with Jason...they definitely make a difference with flares etc

4. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Steve. Lens hoods can be great for reducing glare and sunspots. As for mounting, it depends on which lens you are using. It could be bayonet mount or screw mount, so you would need to know which lens it's for before ordering. If you want to go on-line, I highly recommend Henrys. They have locations in Vancouver as well as Victoria and on-line ordering is easy peasy. I usually get my orders within 3 or 4 days.

Search Henrys Lens Hoods

5. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Use them when there is a genuine reason but otherwise they make me feel like a 'wally'.

Each to his own, few photographs have lived or died on presence or not of a hood.

Those people who use them indoors for events though....

6. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They also protect the glass from rain.

Re indoors, I do as they help protect against damage. In a similar way I never take a shot unless the neck strap is round my neck.

balami likes this.
  7. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I always use them except on the 'nifty fifty'

In the studio it can help lens flare when using multi lights, helping get them closer to the subject without flashing the lens.
    Outdoors it is good protection and again, lens flare when unwanted.

To buy something just for cosmetic reasons seems a strange concept.

Using one is not only for a protection point of view.

And like @Snips , I always use a strap. I like to keep my gear safe 'cos I can't afford to replace it.

8. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I almost always use one. At the very least they protect the front of the lens.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Worth it, Hell yes!

You'd have to try hard to get one that fit's but doesn't do the job, though you can probably find one that isn't designed for the FOV of your lens so it can vignette, or give less shade than it should, but I don't think I've ever had one crack. One designed for your lens is best, but if that's too expensive or not available even just the screw in rubber type work.

Tulip ones tend to be best for wide focal lengths like kit lenses, with longer lenses a simple tube style is fine.

For an ultra wide zoom the rubber type are often best as you can select the length needed for the focal length your using. On my 10-24 fully extended works for the longer lengths then progressively folded up till it's right in for the very widest shots. Rigid varieties would give hardly any shade on a lens like this.

10. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Steve

1) I carry my lens hood with me at all times ... and it has 4 fingers & a thumb attached to it so that I can position it on top or to the side of the lens to minimise the distraction

Here's 2 samples .... with & without the highly expensive hood
    [​IMG]

here I am deliberately showing my hand ... in normal use I would lower until it's seen to intrude into the image, then I back off a bit and take the photo
    [​IMG]

2) for the Panny 24x zoom camera I made a lens hood from a $2 plastic drinking glass plus a suitable-sized step-down ring that finished with the filter diameter of the Panny zoom lens. The internal face of the plastic part was gouged with sandpaper then spray painted with matt black. It is used when I need an effective lens hood for the 200mm to 600mm zooming range and when I am pointing towards the subject while getting backlit subjects - without any lens flare

[​IMG]

To get something like this ...
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps
    Phil

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    paulmag and Snips like this.
  11. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Phil, you cheap-skate!! :toungue-out:(Joking)

The Like wasn't because the last image is horse's ears but much more for a good example of when a lens hood comes into its own. And, to be really honest, I'd never thought about that effect being possible to create without flare because of the lens hood. I take these sort of shots too. Everyday is a school day!

12. Steve7500

Steve7500 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a screw mount on the lens I'd use it with. My other lens is a narrower lens but my 135mm is 67mm diameter. My other lens I don't use often unless I see something I'd try capture. My 135mm lens (15-135) I'm guessing is a wide-angle lens. I also have a cropped sensor as well.

I may not get one any time soon anyway, but hopefully before next summer. I also do like the look of the tulip ones as well, but next time I end up at a store I can see what they all have in stock. If I can get one in Edmonton, I can check out McBain (where I got my filter last month) and see what they have. Even if I don't get one though, I'd still like to check out the prices.

13. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

As you can see the response is almost unanimous, get the lens hood. They serve three primary purposes and several secondary. They reduce glare and reflections, they protect the lens from damage, they help keep oily fingers away from the glass (especially useful when taking pictures of children).

Wide angle lenses require tulip-type lens hoods while longer focal lengths use tube-type hoods. Some lens hoods are designed to screw into the filter threads others require special connections on the lens. Get the lens hood appropriate for the lens.

14. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As I dont use uv filter I always use the lens hood so as to help protect the glass.

15. Steve7500

Steve7500 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. I will definitely see if I can find one next time I travel, or see if I can get one on special-order.

16. Polum2

Polum2 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can also make your own with templates for popular models from; http://www.lenshoods.co.uk

Some sheet floppy plastic or old soft open sided stationary files make this project even cheaper, but very effective!

17. Geeman

Geeman Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    That's a great site! Thanks for posting the link

18. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A costa Coffee take out cup will fit most lenses if you are stuck for one...

19. Geeman

Geeman Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    True....but I watched blue Peter as a kid :)

20. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Since I shoot Canon and Canon only includes lens hoods on their pro model lenses, I have ordered many from Amazon. Even for my pro model lenses I have ordered way less expensive models.

21. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Something that may not have been mentioned is the (slight) protection offered when the hood is fitted in its reverse position off camera.

I was changing lenses at a football match a few years ago and duly reversed the hood on my 70-300 L after removing it from the body.

I put the lens on a bench whilst I fitted the new one. It rolled off the bench and fell about 18 inches onto concrete.

The hood took the impact on its shoulder near the thread (its strongest part) and cracked, but the lens was unmarked and still works flawlessly.

22. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  23. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    DonS likes this.
  24. Polum2

Polum2 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Geeman, your most welcome. It doesn't do every single lens on the market, but they do do a lot!!